November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

WELCOME to THE FORUM

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Site Admin

WELCOME to THE FORUM

Postby JD Hillberry » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Welcome from JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley:

Mike and I would like to take this opportunity to welcome everyone to the Drawing Technique forum. This board will be dedicated to artists interested in producing drawings as finished artwork rather than using it as a preparatory medium. Many pencil artists here specialize in realistic portraits but all styles and subjects may be posted here for critique and comment.

Keep an Open Mind:
Mike and I use very different drawing techniques, as will many of the artist that will make up this group. if you want to grow as an artist, being exposed to a variety of philosophies and drawing methods is invaluable. I always tell my students, "My job is to show you the techniques I use to create my work. Your job is to decide if all of them, part of them, or none of them will work for you". My techniques have developed through the years by learning what other artists do. If it works, I use it, if it doesn't, I throw it away. I now use some techniques and supplies that were originally developed for painting mediums. When you realize that there are no rules in art, no right or wrong way to do things, it opens up a freedom for experimentation that will lead to more creativity and an opportunity to develop your own style and artistic language.

Posting Your Drawings:
While anyone can view the posts on the drawing board, you will need to register to post your work or make comments. If you wish to comment on a drawing just click the reply button for that particular drawing. And please, unless asked, do not post your drawings in another artists thread. Please post each of your drawings under separate topics. That way, the images, comments, and critiques for each thread will be about one specific drawing. You are allowed to post tasteful nudes. To keep people from being surprised, please indicate that it is a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there may be a possibility that someone may be offended by the subject matter.

Constructive Criticism:
Many members here have a very critical eye and are not shy about sharing thoughts on how to improve the drawings they comment on. This is one of the things that makes TDF special. There are other forums out there that will give you plenty of compliments but very rarely much constructive criticism. So, when posting a drawing, be prepared to hear comments that you may disagree with. Keep in mind that we all have different styles, techniques and artistic visions and people will sometimes get contradictory advise. So, when commenting, be prepared to have people not follow your advice. To get the most out of a critique, it will help if you mention the size, and pencils, blenders, etc., used to create the work. It's really hard to help someone when you really don't know what your looking at.

You have to have a thick skin to create something and put it out there for your peers to comment on. But it really is the best way to learn. We are all teachers and students here. If your teachers in school always said "good job" and never gave constructive criticism, we would all be idiots. We all need a pat on the back occasionally, but let's all really try to make this a learning forum. Really look objectively at the posted work. Pretend it's your drawing and ask yourself questions: How could I make this better? What adjustments still need to be made? By the same token, while making your suggestions, try to add a line or two about what you do like about the drawing. A little sugar makes the medicine go down.

We're looking forward to seeing your drawings and hope you will be inspired to keep this a fun and constructive forum.

Who is JD?:
I have been a professional artist since 1989. Through the years I've drawn a variety of subjects, but most people are familiar with my trompe l'oeil (fool the eye) artwork. These are images rendered so realistically that the viewer is deceived into thinking that real objects are displayed in a frame. I am the author of the technique book Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil published by North Light Books and a contributor to "The Artist's Magazine". I also conduct realistic drawing workshops around the country. You can see my work and summaries of my drawings and workshops at: www.jdhillberry.com.

Who is Mike?:
I became a professional artist in 1980, so I have over 30 years of drawing experience here in the UK. I specialize in animals, although I've always maintained that if you can draw, you can draw anything. I prefer to explore detail in depth but I am not a fan of photorealism, and aim to produce a feeling of realism while maintaining a 'hand-drawn' appearance. I am the author of the comprehensive drawing techniques book "Drawing from Line to Life", I run UK, USA and Canadian drawing workshops, and teach online at Drawspace.com. I also built and run Starving-Artists.net which offers artists free and subscription galleries.
JD Hillberry
My Video Drawing Tutorials : www.youtube.com/jdhillberryvideos
My Web Site : www.jdhillberry.com
My workshop info : www.jdhillberry.com/workshop-schedule.htm
My Technique Book : www.jdhillberry.com/book

Re: WELCOME to THE FORUM

Postby onlineart » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

Looks like it will be a brilliant forum when everyone arrives, hope I am welcome as I am a paint not pencil artist :) but still like to hang around with other artists.

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Welcome Jason! Although this is predominantly a drawing forum there are no restrictions on the medium used.

We're not at all concerned about the medium used - and the term "drawing" can be stretched very wide ;)

It's good to have you and your quality artwork here with us.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby Marc Forest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Two of my favorite artists in one place! Feels like Christmas morning! Well done! :D

Look forward to seeing the growth of all the artist that visit here.

Postby KSieloff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

wow!! Mike, JD AND Jason!! How very cool!!! I'm really looking forward to participating. I have a drawing of a beautiful horse coming off the drawing board, I'll post it as soon as I can get it finished. (I'm at work, the drawing is at home!). I can't wait for this forum to get moving!

Kathy

Postby zeiram » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for creating this Forum . I am new to drawing and most likely jumped in way over my head . However , If it were easy everyone would be doing it . So help away , I'm an empty glass .

Harry

Postby Jackie Mestrom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi all,
First of all: Thanks for creating this forum. Looking forward to participating.

I started with my art (airbrush and painting) late 2011 and graphite drawing last year. So I have a lot to learn.
Let's make this a great place.
Greetings from the Netherlands
Jackie
my website

Facebook

Drawings, paintings and airbrushworks.

Postby KSieloff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm

OK, I guess I'll introduce myself too!

I started with oils over 30 years ago, then took a LONG break from art. I got serious about it again a few years ago, and picked up graphite and colored pencils then. It started with my wanting to get back into my art, and making myself do my own Christmas cards to keep me motivated. I now have my own website and have sold a few of my pieces. I want to push to the next level, so that's why I'm here.

Postby Brissie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi, I've just joined up having received an email this morning. I'm very excited about this new "Artist Site"
I only started drawing a couple of years ago and as someone now in her 60's and retired I'm finding art a most wonderful, satisfying, learning pastime.
I shall post something I've done once I'm at my computer and will look forward to getting advice on how to improve with my next subject.
So from me A BIG THANKS for starting this site JD & Mike :) :)

Postby LonnyClouser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi - just received an email regarding this forum.

I have been working towards creating realistic portraits of both people and animals for about 2 years. I'm a member of other art forums (deviantArt, 5PM) and I really enjoy the interaction of like-minded people.

I started drawing too many years ago to list, but got away from it for about 30 years (got married, raised kids, built (then destroyed) a career. Never really lost interest, just didn't have time or energy to work on it.

I have no formal art training - but I'm a tutorial junkie - I've watched JD's tutorials numerous times and been to Mike's site a LOT. I've learned so much from both of you and I've got a way to go - but I don't think learning ever ends, so that's ok.

I started drawing people, faces mostly, and did that a lot when I was a teenager and when I started drawing again, that's what I focused on (mostly drawing my granddaughter). Then my sister's friend asked if I would draw her dog - and was I ever surprised to find that what I'd learned applies to animals too - and as I got more comfortable drawing hair, I realized that I really enjoyed it to boot. Funnily enough, though, the very first cat I ever drew (probably a year ago now) was a hairless cat ...

I really want to get better at realistic drawing, but like many people, just don't have the funds available to go to workshops and buy all the great books that are out there, so I'm really looking forward to the interaction and critiques (I might cry, but that's ok).

And this is kind of long and rambling, so I apologize in advance ...

Postby Elfrule » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi, I just got the email and am excited to join and get some really constructive criticism of my work.
I am very much an amateur artist having only done art lessons at school which was some 50 plus years ago. I recently started drawing again as I am now unemployable and need to look at other methods of generating income. This is however secondary to the great amount of enjoyment drawing gives me and is also a great way to keep the brain from going numb! I recently bought JD's book and am still trying to get my teeth into working with carbon and charcoal. The challenge is exhillerating to say the least.

Postby graphitegeek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 pm

This is outstanding, can't wait for this forum to get rolling!! I have Mike and JD's books by my bed and my girlfriend can't figure out how I can read the same books so much ;-), now the opportunity to have them critique our work is fantastic.

Postby hallux » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 am

I AM SO GLAD THIS FORUM HAS COME ABOUT, IT IS SURE TO BE EXCELLENT FOR UP AND COMING ARTISTS AS WELL AS THE MORE EXPERIENCED. I HAVE ALREADY HAD SOME INTEREXCHANGE WITH MIKE BEFORE ON ANOTHER WEBSITE AND LEARNED A LOT ABOUT HIS TECHNIQUE, ALSO I HAVE HAD SOME EXPERIENCE FROM JASON AS WELL, SO I AM PLEASED TO SEE HIM HERE. I HAVE ALSO GOT JD's BOOK, AN EXCELLENT READ AS WELL AS CONTAINING SOME DRAWINGS AT THE STANDARD I AIM TO ACHIEVE.

Site Admin

Postby JD Hillberry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 am

Just a quick note to thank everyone for joining. It looks like we are starting off with a really great enthusiastic group. I'd also like to thank Mike for putting a spell check on this forum. I never would have attempted "enthusiastic" without one!
JD Hillberry
My Video Drawing Tutorials : www.youtube.com/jdhillberryvideos
My Web Site : www.jdhillberry.com
My workshop info : www.jdhillberry.com/workshop-schedule.htm
My Technique Book : www.jdhillberry.com/book

Postby Lynj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 am

Hello everyone,
WOW as previously mentioned by others I also think Christmas has come!!! I am so excited about having this forum available and joined within minutes of receiving the email. I also have both JD and Mike's books and refer to them so often. Despite just turning 60 I am a newbie to art (Just on 2 years now) and have only used graphite and charcoal so you can see how much I am looking forward to being part of what appears to be such a wonderful resource. Thankyou JD and Mike.
Lyn from Australia
ps. I have been checking your website out Mike to see if and when you will get to Australia!! :)
Critique welcome

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING