November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Question for Mike

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Question for Mike

Postby LonnyClouser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Mike -

I was on your site looking for the AMA interview that someone mentioned (didn't find it yet) and I stumbled onto your blog and started reading. First - what a wealth of knowledge!! I'd give my right hand to go to one of your workshops - you're coming to North Carolina!! - but then I wouldn't be able to participate because I'm right-handed :(.

ANYWAY - you advocate working from dark to light and go on to explain that it's because a decision hasn't been made about how dark to go (paraphrasing). I have always worked light to dark and I was kind of offended at first because it made it sound like "I" was wimpy. But then I realized that I am wimpy - I'm afraid of the dark.

I draw primarily people - so I'm not sure how to go about establishing the darks first on what is a basically a "soft" subject? I'm afraid, I think, of giving the person a "George Hamilton" tan by working too dark.

Would you be able describe how you would start a portrait working from dark to light? I'd love to give this way of working a try.

Lonny

Re: Question for Mike

Postby lmweil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:17 am

Ya' gotta' get his book Lonny. He has some great info on how he does this in the book. Mike does a great explanation and reasons why he draws this way.

but just because you work from light to dark doesn't make you wimpy! I have always worked from light to dark and I dare anyone to call me a wimp! It is whatever style that works for you best. Even Mike is the first to admit that different artists use different methods!

(if you go look at my 'bunyip' post on the animal forum that is all done light to dark - starting with a 6H and a 2H working up to 4B. I did do the nose first to establish my darkest dark however)
Linda Weil
http://home.exetel.com.au/lindaweil/

'DRAW!'Wyatt Earp

Postby Leach » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Sorry for jumping in on your post Lonny but It's a follow up question for Mike and or Imweil. Is there a way to get a digital copy of Mike's book? I bought JD's off the IBook store but didnt see Mikes.

Postby LonnyClouser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Not a problem at all Leach.

Went looking for the book on Mike's site - I have a birthday coming up :D and guess what I'm asking for!! I want paper, though.

I've got JD's book and it's really good. I'm not comfortable with charcoal, though ... might work through it anyway, just to try something different, who knows what I'll learn!

Lonny

Postby KenBrown » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 am

You're a wimp, Linda. hahaha. Sorry ... couldn't resist. I draw light to dark myself ... in fact I usually start with 6H, go to 4H and sometimes even 2H although I have been known to use 4B but rarely if ever as a base value. I use clutch pencils after reading Mike's book some years ago .. I also use mellotex paper exclusively which I order from Mike as well.

Mike does not draw from light to dark - at least not the same way I do. As Linda says, he explains it in his book in good detail. I've tried it but I just can't manage it his way. Even though the book is a bit on the expensive side, there is no other book on drawing that would rather have for explaining animals and fur.

There is not a digital version of his book to the best of my knowledge. After having read the original a number of times, I don't think I would want a digital format. Another thing to consider is that Mike would quickly lose control of his property if it were released as a computer file. Look at what has happened to music files ...

Postby Manuel_A » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 am

Hi Mike,

I perched Drawing from Line to Life book from Mikes website. While I am waiting for it to arrive, I was gathering up the tools I will need, The Drawing Tools Mike Uses .
I am having a problem finding, Staedtler Mars Carbon 2mm Leads 12-Pack F

If anyone knows where to find them, please add the link for me…

Thank you,

Postby KenBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

I've never found F grade Manuel .... but H is available and very close in value.

Postby canliketobe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Howsit Ken!!

Manuel, looked at Staedler's International Website, only grades for 2mm Lead holders are:

HB B H 2B 2H 4B 4H

You can get F in the Mechanical Pencils from Staedler but not in 2mm

Regards
Edwin
C&C Most Welcome

Postby Manuel_A » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Canlikeetobe,

I was looking for something else and I found the, F grade lead. I am waiting to hear from the seller, and it is 2mm lead it’s
for Drawing and Drafting just like the rest of Staedtler’s line. We just have to hunt for them just like the 2mm 6H and 3H leads.

Thank you, Ken if this deal doesn’t pan out, it’s good to know that the H grade will work.

Thank You, for your help…

Postby KenBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm

I would suggest that you be sure it's from Staedtler, Manuel ... there are other brands that aren't anywhere near as good. I have never seen Staedtler F grade available anywhere.

Postby Manuel_A » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Ken,

If you look at the tools mike uses page, click on numer 3 it’s the same one. I am waiting to hear from the seller we will see

Postby KenBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I suspect it's a typo or that it's an older page. Staedtler doesn't list F as in the line. I also see they no longer list Mars Lumograph refills in their product line. Perhaps what you are looking at is an older box. I'm not sure what carbon-lead is .. but this is all they show as being available in 12 packs now. Nonetheless, H is about the exact same thing as F and I find it works very well for me.

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pe ... -200-lead/

Postby graphitegeek » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:21 pm

If you look around you might find some online or floating around in excess stock somewhere, I found a place locally here that still has the old EB leads (about a Staedler 7B), that is the darkest mechanical lead I have found yet.

Al

Postby Manuel_A » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Ken,

In my pursuit to improve as an artist, I have to learn new things in my discovery of mike’s book I am learning about Clutch pencils,
For one thing they are constant at all times. Neither length or weight change the balance remains true.

With wood pencils I have to use pencil lengthener.

Back to the Clutch pencil and Staedtler refills,

Staedtler Mars Lumograph 200, first production was in late 1970s – 2005 http://leadholder.com/lead-staedtler-lu ... 00-rolltop

Then in 2005 to present, Staedtler Mars changed the name to Staedtler Mars carbon http://leadholder.com/lead-staedtler-lu ... ars-carbon

Thank You,

Postby KenBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

That explains it then, Manuel. I bought all my refills in 2005 and haven't needed to buy any since - so that's why the packaging calls them Mars Lumograph. I don't know where Mike gets the F grade since Staedtler doesn't list it as available.

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING