204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Faber-Castell Knetgummi Art Eraser

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Faber-Castell Knetgummi Art Eraser

Postby Anderson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:04 pm

http://www.fabercastell.com/products/mo ... box/127321

My kid told me about these while we were shopping for supplies one day at the local mom & pop store. I grabbed a dozen. At first, I thought they were useless, because they don't work like Blu-Tack. Too soft, doesn't have the same grabbing power. But they are really, really good at cleaning a drawing.

Apparently, these are not the new hotness. A Google search doesn't flood you with purchasing options. I've not been able to learn anything more than what I read in the link, above. Does anyone know anything about this eraser, this crazy poster-putty/kneaded rubber hybrid?

Site Admin

Re: Faber-Castell Knetgummi Art Eraser

Postby JD Hillberry » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 am

I'm not sure what these are, other than a standard kneadable eraser that has been around for years. I use General's kneadable erasers along with blue tac. To me they serve a very different purpose and I purchase both to supply to my workshop students.
JD Hillberry
My Video Drawing Tutorials : www.youtube.com/jdhillberryvideos
My Web Site : www.jdhillberry.com
My workshop info : www.jdhillberry.com/workshop-schedule.htm
My Technique Book : www.jdhillberry.com/book

Postby Anderson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 am

They may very well be the same thing, but in new, fun and exciting colors!

I found them much softer than the kneaded rubber erasers I'm used to, but then I've not used kneaded rubber erasers in some time. Once you go Blu . . . . I remember kneaded rubber being drier, far less elastic, without as much grab. That could be indicative of the brand I used, or just another sign of my advanced age and mental decline. When you stretch these Faber-Castells, they just keep stretching. They are highly elastic, especially when warmed by one's hands. I remember kneaded rubber shearing more as you stretch it. Perhaps this is a new form of kneaded rubber with longer molecules better able to slide past each other?

Postby john c » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:19 am

I agree with J.D knead erasers and blu-tack act different. Blu tack is affected by temperature more then a knead eraser, blu-tack is easier to draw with and holds it shape better Knead eraser are more flaky then blu-tack. I use a knead eraser mostly to clean a drawing and to help create texture and I use blu-tack for more of the finer details.

Postby tiago » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 am

The Faber as well as the staedtler "kneaded erasers" difference from the classic cheap ones is that they are less " flaky" and less dry than most other brands, but they are not firm as blu-tack and they are not so adhesive either. I know I am that type of guy that collects everything i find. I have kneaded erasers from some 9 brands at my desk... from :P These 2 brands are the best on my opinion exactly because they are not as dry. But besides that... no difference really

Postby elkospens » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 am

You are absolutely true i fell that the Faber-Castell Knetgummi Art Eraser is the best eraser for drawing purpose .

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING