Fort Worth, TX :
November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Vintage (Circa 1907) Sheffield Tram W.I.P.

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Vintage (Circa 1907) Sheffield Tram W.I.P.

Postby yogiadobe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:34 pm

As promised in my Welcome Introduction is my W.I.P. of a Vintage, (Circa 1907) Sheffield Tram

Apologies for the high contrast of the photo image. My photoshop skills, it seems, will need some working on before I post any further W.I.P. updates!!!

My Office Circa 1907 260715-02.jpg

Drawn on A4 size, Goldline Bristol Board Smooth. Using 4H, 2H, B, 2B, 4B, 6B, Clutch Pencils, Tuff Stuff and Blue Tac erasers.

Comments & Critiques Most Welcome :)
"The longest & hardest route to the end of your journey, is often the most rewarding"

Re: Vintage (Circa 1907) Sheffield Tram W.I.P.

Postby Jack Neill » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 am

Nice job. I like the composition. Drafted really well and all in perspective. My only advice is to spend a bit more time on the lettering. Use a ruller if you have to to get the sign on the tram to look more printed and less hand drawn. Also some of the dark values you can see a bit of white in still. Maybe put a little more soft pencils over them gently then smooth them in with a blender. Namely the front of the tram curved panel and the light pole. Doing relly well though, look forward to the next stage

Postby yogiadobe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Jack Neill wrote:Also some of the dark values you can see a bit of white in still. Maybe put a little more soft pencils over them gently then smooth them in with a blender. Namely the front of the tram curved panel and the light pole.

Thanks Jack, for you helpful comments and advice. I will have another look at the dark area's and try to darken them with a softer pencil. But I am nervous about altering the lettering on the tram side for fear of making it any worse.

I posted this W.I.P. on the 1st August and was delighted but also disappointed that yours is the only reply. I initially joined the forum to offer my own help and advice to like minded drawing artists, but also to learn and gain more experience in my drawing quest. But have been disappointed to the response so far to this W.I.P. and also to my completed W.I.P. "Wentworth Old Ruined Church" which so far has received a number of views but no replies and I can't understand why. :( :?

I have been a member of another Drawing forum for a number of years now and from day one, fellow artists on there have been only too willing to offer comments & Critiques.
"The longest & hardest route to the end of your journey, is often the most rewarding"

Postby mwgpe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm

I am very impressed by the level of detail on the stores/ streetscape to the left. The precision makes it look like a photo. I look forward to seeing this progress and completed.

Regarding your comments about lack of comments, I feel the same way and cannot figure it out. I am a beginner and many times feel my comments do not really matter to work such as at your level of detail. But I try to comment to people that seem to be at my level (beginner). Of course, it is all personal perception. Perhaps as this community grows, we will get more active people. I found these forums first, then discovered DA. I tend to check DA more often than here right now. DA is all kinds of annoying, but I have managed to find a small group of fellow pencil artists and we have been communicating pretty well with suggestions and ideas. I also find all the different kinds of pencil artwork inspiring for other ideas. It would be nice to have that here.

Postby yogiadobe » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:14 pm

mwgpe wrote:I am very impressed by the level of detail on the stores/ streetscape to the left. The precision makes it look like a photo. I look forward to seeing this progress and completed.

Thanks mwgpe for your comments on this Vintage Tram W.I.P. In actual fact I am using Colour/Black & White photo's, I took some years ago, as reference photo's. I find constant reference to these helps to establish the tonal gradations, texture, and shading. It also helps to correctly position the detail.

Anyway here's hoping that as I progress with this W.I.P. it will attract more Comments & Critique, and so give me the encouragement to keep on posting updates.

Since this last post I have started working on, and got a fair bit done with the lower deck windows. Keep on looking mwgpe. :)

Postby yogiadobe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Just a little more done to the lower deck windows.
Hopefully starting to look something like a Vintage Sheffield Tram now. :D

My Office Circa 1907 4-02.jpg

Drawn on Goldline Bristol Board Smooth.
Using 4H, 2H, B, 2B, 4B, 6B, Faber Castell Clutch Pencils, Blue Tac, and Tuff Stuff erasers.

Comments & Critiques Most Welcome ;)

Postby mwgpe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Wow, the streetscape through the front glass is amazing!

Ignorant question, not saying this is a suggestion for this piece.....if the tram is the focus of piece, would you make it darker or perhaps a darker outline, to make it stand out? I realize you are going for the whole scene, so it may not apply. I am coming from an architecture and presentation background, so I am always looking/thinking about what is the emphasis of the drawing. I do think it works without any emphasis, just curious on your thoughts.

I think you are catching a very vintage look here....not only is the Tram from 1907, but the drawing looks like it is from 1907 also. Any idea of the hours spent so far?

Keep up the good work.

Postby yogiadobe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Yea! I see what you mean mwqpe. Possibly when I draw in the lower bodywork of the tram, which is a very dark Blue/Black colour judging from my colour reference photo. Until I can finish that, it is hard to envisage just how much the tram will stand out as the focus of the piece.

To be honest mwqpe I haven't a clue as to the total hours I have spent on this drawing so far. I haven't really kept a check on the time spent as I started it last year then left it due to a lack of motivation, and only recently decided to blow the cobwebs off, and, am now determined to complete the W.I.P. But just to give you some idea, the other day, I spent roughly 3 to 4 hours just on the detail of the drivers main window. But then the eyes were starting to blur so I stopped for the day.

Anyway mwqpe thanks for your encouraging feedback, its always great to read the views of fellow artists.
Keep on looking my friend. :)

Postby yogiadobe » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:18 pm

A little more done today, on the lower deck windows.

My Office (Circa) 1907-01.jpg

Drawn on Goldline Bristol Board Smooth A4 size (9"x12"). Using 4H, 2H, B, 2B, 4B, 6B, Faber Castell clutch pencils, Blue Tac and Tuff Stuff erasers

Postby yogiadobe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Final Update - Vintage Sheffield Tram (Circa 1907) Complete

My Office Circa 1907 100217-02.jpg

Drawn on Goldline Bristol Board Smooth (9"x12") A4 size, Using 4H, 2H, HB, 2B, 4B Staedtler clutch pencils, Tuff Stuff, Tombow Mono Zero Erasers and Blue Tac.

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING