204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Pencils only

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Pencils only

Postby oldhippy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Hello everyone, i am quite new to drawing and wanted to ask if some artists only ever draw with just pencils, i find this idea quite appealing and really like the look of pencil drawings.

Re: Pencils only

Postby KenBrown » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:10 pm

I can't say that I've ever done a drawing using only pencils ... every one I've ever done also has required erasers. I never use blending or embossing tools but an eraser is always necessary for me.

Ken

Postby lmweil » Thu May 26, 2016 6:04 am

:D @ Ken. But yes, he is right. Pencils and maybe a kneadable eraser or blue tack is all you need! Oh, and a pencil sharpener and knife. hmmm, maybe some quality paper too? (now we are just messing with you).

Have a look at some of the great work by JD and you will be inspired!
Linda Weil
http://home.exetel.com.au/lindaweil/

'DRAW!'Wyatt Earp

Postby yogiadobe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Oldhippy,
I have only ever used pencils as a drawing medium. Even though in theory they can only draw a line, by using shading techniques, pencils can be quite versatile. I only use clutch pencils with 2mm leads 4H, 2H, HB, 2B, 4B and very occasionally maybe a 6B. Just with these few lead grades a huge variety of tonal values can be achieved simply by applying greater or lesser pressure on to the paper. Layering also achieves darker values and if you want lighter values then as mentioned above the use of dabbing (not rubbing) with blue tac, would achieve this. Hope this helps. Finally, happy drawing, with just your pencils.
"The longest & hardest route to the end of your journey, is often the most rewarding"

Postby john c » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:39 am

Every great work, every great idea starts with a simple pencil.

Postby KenBrown » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 am

The sharpness of a pencil is probably something of a choice as well. Some people (Darryl Tanks) for instance, use very sharp pencils for their work due to techniques. I, on the other hand, prefer very dull pencil tips. I do have a sharpener for emergencies but I really only sharpen my pencils perhaps once a year when I'm drawing regularly. I do sharpen my stick eraser pretty often though. Again - techniques. Like John, I use clutch pencils with a 2mm refill in 4H, 2H, H, HB, 2B and 4B with a wooden cased 6H because I hadn't found that grade in refills until quite recently. But I only use the 6H on its side and its so hard I have never needed to sharpen it. I buy my refills in 12 packs for the different colored plungers that Staedtler Mars includes in that quantity. Gotta say that in the 12 years I've been drawing I've never had to buy more refills and still have more than half of the originals. I don't think any oil painters can say such a thing about their paints. :lol:

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING