204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Agnes - The portrait is FINISHED.

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Agnes - the portrait

Postby SugarLand » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm so jealous i am the worse with portraits. You have done an amazing job :D

Postby PogArt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:26 pm

It's always nice to get a complement rather than negative comment, isn't it? :)
To lift you up I'll share two mistakes that I've found couple days ago :)
I did notice that the forehead I've drawn too high compared to ref photo? I have fixed this mistake already lowering the top hair's line a bit down...
You won't see it over here because I haven't update it yet over here but if you interested I did update it on my facebook drawing page ...
Soon after I started looking for some more mistakes and the second one that I found is the eyes :)
Once again.., they're smaller than on the reference photo.
Unfortunately I can't fix the eyes, it's too late...
What I'm saying is - don't be jealous :)
I'm not perfect and still doing lots of mistakes :)
It seems like you're new member of this forum?
Welcome then and learn from the others , ask questions and practice :)
All the best to you and thank you for checking my drawing out ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby maxwestart » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:32 pm

You know your stuff when it comes to portrait drawing. The proportions looks right. What I mean by that I was taught in the famed book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain that the eyes are the center of the face & that the eyes from the top of the forehead should be the same distance as from the eyes to the bottom of the head.

May I ask where you learned portrait drawing? Did you get any professional training, did you learn on your own, etc?
Check out Sunnyville Stories! Available wherever books are sold!
http://www.sunnyvillestories.com

Postby PogArt » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you for your nice comment maxwestart and the question...
I'm learning portraits on my own.
I'm asking for as many pictures as possible and then I'm looking throughout for the special one?
When I find the one I think it's worth to be drawn I'm starting my "adventure" with pencil and a piece of paper ;)
I'm much more after drawing all kind of animals and nature but my friends don't ask me to draw their pets but themselves instead?!
I'm happy with the quality of those portraits but I wish I could learn hyper realistic skills?
That's why even they like my drawings I'm always blaming myself that I can not do any better than that... ... ...
I know I'm expecting too much from myself, especially if you realize that I've drawn only few drawings...
But I wish I could learn hyper realistic skills one day and then I will say I'm proud of myself.
All I'm drawing now is just the long way of practice to learn as much as possible, to train my hands and the brain.., my skills.., to be able to draw in future like the artists I'm watching usually on Youtube who're drawing so wonderfully. At the same time I know that hyper realistic drawing can be seen as only copying the photos...
Without the free soul of the art itself?
There is two parts of me you see.
Both wanna win.
I don't know which way to go yet.
I don't know much at the beginning of my drawing hobby.
It will comes in the right time I hope but before it's happen I have to learn a lot and just keep practice drawing everything ;) People, animals , flowers and trees, grass, insects... etc.
So once again to answer your question, I'm learning on my own,I'm trying to ask questions over this forum to learn from experiensed artists.
I've notised a year ago that I can not draw a hair properly at all and because of that I've had joined Mike Sibley live workshop last year to learn how to deal with fur and hair.
That was the first drawing lessons I've ever had in my life and it was well worth it because I started understand all this subject regarding drawing the hair and fur.
I've bought Mike's book as well.
I have opened an account on JD Hillberry artist too and I'm purchasing his video tutorials whenever they're ready for sale.
I am trying to learn from mentioned above artists and I like watching YouTube tutorials as well.
What I learn till now is that there is many different ways to achieve the goal and everyone is different so the key is to find the way of drawing that suits you the best?
I am thank you again for getting touch with me and asking the question.
I wish you all the best.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby maxwestart » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:07 pm

My advice with hyperrealism and realism? You should only pursue it if you truly want to do so. Many out there aim to be realistic with their drawings, but get upset when they don't get that way. We are human beings, each one of us individual with our own ways of thinking and feeling; your drawing (realistic or otherwise) will not look like someone else's or some expert's. The only thing that can truly capture reality is a camera.
Check out Sunnyville Stories! Available wherever books are sold!
http://www.sunnyvillestories.com

Postby PogArt » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:29 pm

It's nice to listen your point of view and advice.
Maybe I'm wrong but at this stage of my skills I usually blaming myself if I notice some mistake on my drawing (the forehead case or the eyes "Agnes") and then I'm thinking of other artists who are showing off with awesome hyper like portraits.., dreaming it could be me one day... But you're right. We all are different and we will always be drawing with noticable differences.
It's like martial art fighters? They can practice one style but every each of them will show differences regarding the same technique? Here we are ;)
We must be different , othervise the whole life would be boring so drawing ;)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
All the best ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi to everyone interested with some progress...
I were planning to upload the final drawing, but it's not too easy to keep my promise as the detailed work takes time ;)
So I'm willing to show you some jacket texture progress that I'm working on, to draw it as realistic as possible.
This is slow process as every time and then I'm making sure that my effort goes correctly ;)
I hope you like the way the jacket's texture is going to be?
Thank you.
Attachments
2016-07-06 22.09.33.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Pogart wrote:...and then I'm thinking of other artists who are showing off with awesome hyper like portraits.., dreaming it could be me one day... But you're right. We all are different and we will always be drawing with noticeable differences.

I think you're heading exactly down the right route, Artur. Learn the techniques, pay attention to the details, and bit by bit you'll learn to change what needs changing, to omit what is unnecessary, and to "tell your story" instead of following a reference. But right now following a reference is ideal practice.

I liken it to a clown on the high-wire. He appears to be completely useless, but to be a clown he first had to be a master of it his art.

In other words, keep drawing, keep practising, and gradually (without you realising it) you'll gradually learn to bend what you see into the story you want to tell - to interpret it in your way.

Which is very long way of saying... I really think those buttons are one heck of a distraction :) They're not important, they take my eye away from Agnes, and they're not even necessary. Forget perfect realism and knock them back so they're there if I look but I see Agnes.

By going that low you've now divided your composition 50:50 with Agnes taking up the upper half. Personally, I'd fade those buttons back and go no lower - maybe even erase anything lower down. I don't even need to know what she's resting her hands on - it's not important. Try to let Agnes fill the top two thirds. She's the focus.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby PogArt » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Thank you for your keen advice Mike ;)
This is how I learn ;)
I'll try my best to vanish those buttons as far as possible and keep focus on the Agnes...
Silly mistake , you're right ;)
Maybe I would draw the table next and the shoes below it ?
Thank you.
Lesson has been learned ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 pm

I have listened Mike's keen advices regarding getting rid of the bottom not important part (buttons)...
It's funy because It's so easy to get lost while drawing, so I did ;) The buttons unfortunately must stay...
I were pressing too hard with 9xxB pencil and blue-tac did it's job to lighten them nicely but the darks are well settled.
I'm probably wrong, but I realized I actually don't mind them the way you can see them now?
I can see they're still there but not disturbing as much as yesterday my focus from the face?
I have no much experience at all and it's obvious that this time I failed with planning the whole portrait...
The lesson has been learned, time go forward ;)
I've been working today a bit on Agnes hands.
I think I like the darker tone of the hands and I'll try to adjust the face darks to mach the hands shading..?
I'm a bit afraid writing it down as I don't want to move from one to the other mistake by darkening whole portrait too far..?
I hope you enjoy my updates?
Thank you.
Attachments
2016-07-07 23.18.52.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Your friend's portrait is developing beautifully Arthur. I think you really captured her features. It's something I admire because I don't draw people at all (other than Santa Claus ;))

There is one suggestion I would make. Even if you can see all of the folds in your friends hands, I would soften them at this point. She's a young woman and dark folds can age skin I think.

I like the way you lightened the buttons and I think the way you have it now definitely keeps our focus on your friend's face and eyes. She's going to love it!
Laurene

Re: Agnes - The portrait is FINISHED.

Postby PogArt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:50 am

I'm appreciate your positive thoughts dear Laurene.
I tried my best but the face on my drawing isn't matching very well the reference picture regarding the face features like nose,eyes or lips...
It's upseting me a bit because my aim is to make one day portrait drawing nearly as identical as the picture to make recipient struggling to judge if he's looking at a drawing or the picture itself ;)
I know I know ...
If I ever will learn to be that good It won't come to me in days or months ... But it's good to have a dreams and enjoy every drawing ;)
Dear Laurene...
Agnes is 43 at present so I hope the folds on her hands won't upset her ;)
My wife said that she's looking nicer on my drawing than on the picture ;) I can't pass this news to Agnes though!
Hahahaaaa ;) ;) ;)
Thank you very much for spending your time to post some comments for me ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:14 am

We're all our worst critics, so it's great that your wife was able to see what you couldn't!!

I think you definitely succeeded in capturing your subject's likeness, and especially in capturing the soft mood in the photo. In my opinion, a photo is a photo and a drawing is a drawing. They're not the same.

I remember Mike telling a story of a camera he once bought that had a really fast shutter speed so he had photos of his subject just seconds apart. There were slight differences in each photo. That proved to him that even if he drew a perfect copy of a photo, the subject actually looked slightly different just a second later so it freed him from feeling that he had to copy every single little detail. I may not have told the story exactly the way he did, but that's the general idea.
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 am

Thank you again Laurene for your comment...
You're really have lift me up with what you've said.
Drawing is drawing and pics are pics and I'm human being not a digital camera ;) ...
You've mentioned some of capturing Agnes mood...
It's reminds me one of TDF members who is trying to capture a face expression of a child just seconds after he tries an ice cream...
Drawing should show the character of the person or some moments and pass it to the viewer, isn't it?
Yes I'm the worst critic of my drawings ;)
Whenever I finish I'm always in deep doubts whether it could be better done or not and always looking for miscorrections to try avoid mistakes at a next time ;)
I'll remember what you've said Laurene.
I'm not a digital camera ;)
Thank you.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby rickycorbett » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 pm

Pogart, you have done an amazing drawing. The likeness is amazing. Your details are phenomenal. The eyes are expressive and really speaks with the viewer. My only suggestion would be to try to become comfortable with the dark values in skin, I have the same problem in my own work. I'm learning to not be afraid of the darks. By creating a good balance of darks, mid-tones, and lights, will make your already amazing portrait even better and make it pop off the page. I'm learning that the only way to get better with creating more balance in the tones is by working. Draw as much as possible and have fun! You are an amazing artist and are so naturally gifted, I am in awe of your work. I look forward to seeing more of your amazing work!

~Ricky :-)

PreviousNext

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING