November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

"Johnny"

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

"Johnny"

Postby rickycorbett » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:57 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a few drawings, here's one I started last night, this is "Johnny", he is 11 x 14 pencil on Stonehendge paper.

This is 11 x 14 pencil on Stonehenge paper. For pencils, I'm using Derwent Drawing pencils with 2B and 8B leads. I'm using a circulism technique, I'm looking to create texture in the skin, I'm looking to create raw emotion in the eyes, I'm trying to improve my realism, not photorealism per say, I want to improve my observation in my work. I want to capture those little nuances that makes everyone unique.

More to come soon!!!

Thanks,
Ricky :-)
Attachments
JohnnyWIP1.jpg

Re: "Johnny"

Postby Bob1298 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Ricky, this is one I want to watch. You have really set up a challenge for yourself.

Bob

Postby rickycorbett » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:45 am

Thanks Bob! This is going to be more of an lesson for me in observation. I'm not trying to go for photorealism per say...I do want to improve the realism in my work but by observing more closely and not recreating a photograph. I took some reference photos of Johnny but it's my interview with him and my mental picture I made of him which is really going to allow me to achieve my goal of observation. I'll be posting more progress soon.

Ricky :D

Postby maxwestart » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:25 pm

You're on the right track as the facial proportions are correct. Keep sharing your progress and keep your tones varied.
Check out Sunnyville Stories! Available wherever books are sold!
http://www.sunnyvillestories.com

Postby rickycorbett » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on my portrait of "Johnny". I stepped away from him because I was losing confidence in my ability to finish him. I decided to keep working on him.

I'm still working on adding under his chin. I took a Derwent Soft Charcoal pencil and in a circular motion put down a layer of charcoal - no blending yet. Then I took graphite powder and dipped in a q-tip cotton swab, tapped off the excess graphite powder and blended it with the charcoal. It creates a nice smooth dark I think. I then take my kneaded eraser and dab it a little to lighten the lighter areas. Then take my q-tip cotton swab again and using a circular motion, blend a bit more to pull everything together.

For the pores, I draw the pattern of the pores using a 2B mechanical pencil then take a q-tip cotton swab and dip it into graphite powder, tap off the excess powder and in a circular pattern, apply a layer of graphite. Then I take my kneaded eraser, mold it into a point, and dab it into the highlight area of the pores. Then I take my 2B mechanical pencil and darken the shadow area of the pores.

More to come soon!!!
Attachments
JohnnyWIP.JPG

Postby PogArt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Ricky...
I'm impressed with the detailed drawing and the description of how you achieve the realistic look of the skin... I'm beginner and by reading what you do I'm learning how to improve my drawings.
Thank you for that.
I like very much the darks...
It's looking amazing, the dark , detailed skin.
Thank you for sharing your work and for detailed description.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby rickycorbett » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Everyone,

"Johnny" is just about finished. I need to make a few tweaks here and there on his face and then finish his neck, then he'll be ready to be judged on Friday.

Another update coming soon!

-Ricky
Attachments
IMG_6857.JPG

Postby PogArt » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:19 pm

You've done wonderful job ;)
I'm so after such realistic portraits ...
I'm keep practising, but I'm not talented as you are, so I have to go the longer way to improve my skills ;)
Congratulation !!!
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby rickycorbett » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:41 am

Here is my completed portrait of Johnny, 11 x 14 graphite on Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper.

@Pogart: keep practicing! I'm always looking to improve my skills. Hang in there, I'm still learning also.

Thanks,
-Ricky
Attachments
IMG_6879.JPG

Postby PogArt » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks Ricky for encourages ;)
Your finished work is looking as it was going to - impressive ;)
I'm wowed especially with skin real like texture and the hair , beard looking very well mastered Ricky.
Thanks for share your detailed and well done portrait ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING