available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Curly Hair Madness

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Curly Hair Madness

Postby mwgpe » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Been working on this one for awhile, though I took a long break over the past couple months.

Her face is a bit "pastie white" looking now. I feel that I need to get the hair developed on right side before finishing the face textures, in order to balance it correctly.

The original photo does not have any shadows of the curls on the face on left side. But I think i need to add some to add more depth. Since I will be guessing at the shadows, I hope I do not ruin it. One method that i have used in the past is to add the shadows in photoshop until I get something that looks correct.

Curly Hair technique basics are thanks to JD Hillberry's Curly Hair Video Tutorials.

F, 4B, 6B, 9xxB graphite pencils & Generals 2H Hard Charcoal and Primo Elite charcoal on Arches 140 lb Hot Pressed Water Color Paper. 9" x 11"

Original image (color) can be found here: http://zuzuturkova.deviantart.com/art/D ... -567995796

Re: Curly Hair Madness

Postby Lucyarts » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi,
as my point of view (my modest point of view), I think that you have to draw those fine hair that you see in darker parts
and after accentuating light points. You can help to draw the hair with the rulers curvilinear (I don't know if this is the right words - I'm italian - see attached)
They can help you to be as precise as possible!

Anyway, good job!

Lucy
Attachments
curvilinee.jpg

Re: Curly Hair Madness

Postby mwgpe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:12 pm

Lucyarts wrote:Hi,
as my point of view (my modest point of view), I think that you have to draw those fine hair that you see in darker parts
and after accentuating light points. You can help to draw the hair with the rulers curvilinear (I don't know if this is the right words - I'm italian - see attached)
They can help you to be as precise as possible!

Anyway, good job!

Lucy

Lucy,

Thank you for your input. Very good, constructive criticism. Very much appreciated to hear what other people see. I have not been satisfied with my result for those hairs. I have been "testing" different methods as I go.

In America, we call those curved rulers "French Curves"....no idea why! I have a wide selection of them from my younger days as an architectural draftsman. I even have a flexible one. Great idea...I had forgot about them! I will probably wait until the very end to finish these loose, flying hairs.

Some more progress on face portion:

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING