November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Magdalena - wife portrait

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Magdalena - wife portrait

Postby PogArt » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi dear friends.
I like to share good news that I've just started fresh portrait drawing of my wife Magdalena ;)
It's going to be the greatest challenge ever, to manage this important portrait, because you already know that if she won't be happy - she will do her best to make me even worse ;) (joke, lol) ;)
It's just beginning, I've started a few hours ago, so forgive me there is nothing to enjoy or talk about yet...
I've maintained the placement of the face features and gently shadding and working on the hair line at the top left.
If you interested, whether the rest of my life is going to be wonderful or nightmare ;) you're welcome to follow oncoming updates ;)

Media ;
Drawing paper - A3 size of Conqueror Diamond White
Pencils - Staedtler mechanical and Lumograph Black pencils set, General's Kimberly 9xxb

Thank you.
Attachments
2016-11-16 13.22.43.jpg
Magdalena ;)
2016-11-16 13.20.38.jpg
first steps ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Re: Magdalena - wife portrait

Postby PogArt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi everybody interested in this portraiture.
Here it comes small update ;)
I've started drawing this portrait unusually, with hair...
I used to start with eyes, nose...
Not this time?
I'm trying to minimalise smudging, and to stop drawing in chaos like moving from one side of drawing to another...
This time I'm trying to keep things simplier.
I've started drawing from left upper corner, I'm working on small parts, moving slowly to maintain new details, and coming back to redraw already estabilished parts, to add some depth or do some other adjustments if necessary...
I hope it'll work for me?
Thank you for watching.
Attachments
2016-11-20 21.36.32.jpg
The hair ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Lucyarts » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Great work Pogart.

keep us updated!

a tip for your hair: always starts from the deepest parts.

Lucy

Postby PogArt » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Thanks Lucy for your advice ;)
The hair absorbing much time, so I'm not uploading any progress, because there is not much to show?
It's been two weeks already, and I feel I'm keep drawing the same place all over the time ;)
I think I'll upload the update when I finish the left side of hair, or something more than I've got already, to let you Lucy and other members to see something more and compare to the first steps of this portrait...
I already blaming myself for not being able to draw better than this... I think I'm messing up something importand regarding the hair thing...
I'm upset but I'm not starting fresh new drawing only because I know I need to practice my skills...
So even if this drawing will go to the bin, I'll carry it on till the end, just to be lesson learnt ;)
Thank you for you keen advice Lucy ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:49 am

I already blaming myself for not being able to draw better than this... I think I'm messing up something import and regarding the hair thing...

No you're not, Artur! It's looking perfectly OK. No, I'll rewrite that... it's looking great! It has three-dimensional body that I could poke my finger into. And it looks like hair and nothing but hair.

I suspect the only problem is that you're at the (localised) ugly duckling stage. Don't attempt to alter anything at this stage - just keep going. It's out of context so you have nothing else to refer to. Later it will probably look perfect, or it might need a little adjusting. But don't do that now. I've been there, done that - altered and altered again and then later realised it was perfectly aright before I started to play around with it. Finish the face - even finish the entire drawing - and then take another, fresh, look at what you drew earlier.

Good material for your new What's New page.... just a suggestion :)
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby PogArt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 pm

You always know best what comment to post Mike ;)
You're great and experienced artist.
Thank you for motivation and encourages , I'll do my best - as usually ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Lucyarts » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Pogart
I think that you are doing a good job.
Don't worry and keep it up.!!! :)

Lucy

Postby PogArt » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Thank you Lucy for being with me, checking out my posts ;) It's very appreciated feeling, that some great artists out there, are keeping an eye what you do ;)
Thank you for that ;)
I'll post next update as soon as I'm ready ;)
I've got long and unsuitable duties, every day since last week, so I'm fighting for even one hour per day to keep drawing...
Thx ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi my dear friends.
I've started this drawing on 16th Nov, and I'm trying my best to work on it every time I can.
I've promised to upload some progress , so I keep my promise ;)
I've got three days off (today's first) so I've been drawing for last three hours and I'm willing to share with you what I've managed to do until now ...
There is not much done yet, it's all taking much time and attention as you know ;)
I've got tomorrow and Monday yet to move on bit by bit ;)
I did listen what dear Mike has adviced, and I've left the hair as they were, and started focusing onto face features.
As you've noticed I've had none of darks,any of black points neither, so I decided to make some, like eyelashes or iris pupils, to let me have some darks to be able to compare the rest of tones.
I hope it'll help me to better understand what values of tones to choose.
So for today I've got for you some progress on the face like an eyes, cheek and marked eyebrows.
I hope you won't mind me to posting very little steps.
I wish I could share some more, but it's all taking time.
Thank you so much for watching my effort.
Attachments
15322423_1160422190674064_1692125404_o.jpg
Face features
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Lol ... ;)
It's been three days I'm working on it, every day for up to 3 hours...
It's hard to tell much difference ...
Anyway I'm posting update as I've promised, even it's not too much to show?
Today I've done some work on the hair, maintaining the places of the hair that going deeper, underneath the other...
I've moved a bit down as well. It's not much because I'm thinking twice, and planning how the hair I like to go...
Because I've moved down with the hair I were able to start shading the cheek next to the hair and I've marked shape of the rose as well.
It'll help me to be more precise working on to bottom shape of the hair.
I hope it's all going as it should?
Thank you for watching those little steps.
Attachments
15354298_1163398543709762_356093491_o.jpg
Last three days work ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:40 am

I really like the lighting in the reference you chose. The way the shadows fall across the face will give it a soft dreamy look. The hair is very intricate and you're handling it really well, but in my opinion I wouldn't worry about getting every little detail in there because the focus of the portrait will be those pretty eyes.

Postby PogArt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 am

Thank you Laurene...
Unfortunately I'm planning not to follow too 'tight' to the lighting you've mentioned...
I mean - to copy it as it is on ref photo...
From my point of view the lighting is too harsh and it's too much going on about it , and I'm worry that if I follow the shadows too closely..,it could gain too much attention to the shadows not to Magda's eyes?
Don't you think so ?
Shouldn't I worry too much?
I were planning to reduce those shadows, to shorten them...
I'll be gratefull to listen to your opinion pls ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:25 pm

You're right Arthur. My post wasn't very clear. First thing is I always think you should follow your own instincts because often the artist has a vision that the rest of us can't see until the drawing is finished, so by all means follow what you feel is right.

When I talked about shadows I meant those soft shadows such as we see on the left side (our left) of Magdalena's face. That allows the eyes to look brighter and to shine. I wouldn't reproduce the hard zig-zag shadows across her forehead though. As is, they might unfortunately look a little bit like scars especially if they're drawn a little too dark. If I really wanted to show some of those shadows I would definitely lighten them quite a bit and soften the edges. If I wanted to experiment like this though, I always say to photograph or scan your drawing and experiment on the print-out, not on the original drawing!

Actually, I think we're on the same track, but just follow your instincts and you can't go wrong. It's going to be a beautiful portrait!

Postby PogArt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:47 pm

Hahaaa Laurene ;)
You've pulled out the zig-zag thing out of my mouth ;)
It's looking horrible on the ref photo already, isn't it?!
This is exactly what I were talking about ;)
To get rid of some weird looking shadows ;)
Thank you for more precised describing of your thoughts regarding shadows ;)
It's clear now what you've meant ;)
I know that you know ;) I'll do as much as I can to finish this drawing nicely, but with someone like me you can't be ever sure what the final drawing will be ;)
I'm always trying to learn some on my mistakes, to avoid make the same ones twice ;) ..., but there is always plenty of room for new mistakes to make ;)
Thank you Laurene for following this portrait drawing ;)
Is there anything new that you've started working on?
;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 pm

We all learn from our mistakes. As a matter of fact, it's the only way to learn in my opinion. There'a a saying I've heard hat has stayed with me: "Don't try, don't fail". Sarcastic, yes, but very very true! Those who try may fail, but only they can succeed! :)

I'm starting a drawing of a barred owl over in Mike's "zoo".

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING