204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Four Animals: new drawing.

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Four Animals: new drawing.

Postby Kenneth Reaume » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a new drawing that took me awhile, probably in total a month. I wrestled with the composition because I wanted to do something more surrealistic but natural at the same time.

On my website I posted why I drew this as it's more allegorical. I learned a lot from this piece, especially drawing fur. More and more I'm finding that impressionistic approaches (for me anyway) makes for a more realistic drawing. First time I've used indenting as well. I can see why its so important to use that technique.

Thanks for taking a look!

It's 12"X12" on 80lb Strathmore Paper.
Attachments
FourAnimalsDrawSpace.jpg
Four Animals by Kenneth Reaume 2016

Re: Four Animals: new drawing.

Postby Laurene » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Kenneth.

I love the concept of this. This could easily have been a confusing composition with so many elements in a small space, but you made it work! Your use of darks and lights delineates each subject for the viewer perfectly. There's much to admire here for me, both in the animals and in the forest background. If the whole drawing is only 12" x 12" then each animal's face is really very small. It's amazing that you could get all that detail in each animal as well as in each tree. Great to see this type of work!
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi , I'm in love of every inch of this beautiful drawing Kenneth !
So detailed and such realistic drawing, I mean the animals and everything around ... just wonderful ;)
I wish I could ever drawn something at least close to what you've done ;)
I've got personal question if you wouldn't mind please?
I'm curious if there is any hidden message into your drawing...
It's because the forest is matching the wolf and the deer so I'm very interested what's made you to choose the other two animals please ;)
I'm just expecting some hidden message into your beautiful art dear Kenneth ;)
Something that had trigger you to pick up those animals and drawn them together ;)
Thank you ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby Kenneth Reaume » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Laurene wrote:Hi Kenneth.

I love the concept of this. This could easily have been a confusing composition with so many elements in a small space, but you made it work! Your use of darks and lights delineates each subject for the viewer perfectly. There's much to admire here for me, both in the animals and in the forest background. If the whole drawing is only 12" x 12" then each animal's face is really very small. It's amazing that you could get all that detail in each animal as well as in each tree. Great to see this type of work!

Hi Laurene,

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate your critique - especially a truly talented and established artist such as yourself!

Yes, I think the only way it worked was by having negative space above their heads (sky) working the composition using Adobe Photoshop CC. The rest fell into place and I didn't over think it. I had a few works in progresses that I abandoned.

Yes, the drawing is small - I didn't want to do something large this time. I learned that in order to draw animals the way I wanted to portray you have to go larger than what I did here. It worked but I think it would've been much more affective on a larger scale.

Thanks Again,
KR

Postby Kenneth Reaume » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:28 pm

PogArt wrote:Hi , I'm in love of every inch of this beautiful drawing Kenneth !
So detailed and such realistic drawing, I mean the animals and everything around ... just wonderful ;)
I wish I could ever drawn something at least close to what you've done ;)
I've got personal question if you wouldn't mind please?
I'm curious if there is any hidden message into your drawing...
It's because the forest is matching the wolf and the deer so I'm very interested what's made you to choose the other two animals please ;)
I'm just expecting some hidden message into your beautiful art dear Kenneth ;)
Something that had trigger you to pick up those animals and drawn them together ;)
Thank you ;)

Wow, PogArt. Thank you!

I'm sure you could do something like this piece if you just take your time, breathe and take breaks! Best advice was reading Mikes book when he said 'imagine you have thousands of hours to finish a drawing' - that's how I do my work. I can't rush it. If I do, it shows. Drawing is the opposite of the mindset of today where it's fast paced and immediate.

The piece is personal, yes. I wouldn't call it a 'hidden message' per sé, but the animals represent my personality in a personal way. I explained it on my website: http://www.kennethreaume.ca/originals/four-animals

Again, I really appreciate your kind words on my artwork. I hope I answered your questions.

All the best & happy holidays!

Postby BlackScorpion » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 pm

It is gorgeous, I would be happy to have even a tenth of your talent:-)

Postby PogArt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes you did Kenneth!
It's been nice of you sending me link to let me read some more and to answer my concernation ;)
It explained a lot ;)
You've got a great spirit, I love it.
I do love wolves and I feel like I was one of them ;)
It's nice to read your comment regarding the Mike's message in his book about the time taken by drawing.
I'm always blaming myself that one drawing usually takes me up to two months from start to finish...
And I feel I can not rush myself, it's simply, if I feel not well I'm not drawing, to avoid mistakes or being out of focus.
Mike's words explains a lot, aren't they ;)
Thank you again for your keen answer Kenneth ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING