November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Daniel Radcliffe

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Daniel Radcliffe

Postby Anderson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:29 pm

I never stopped drawing for my job, but I've stopped drawing for myself. And it's something I need to work on.

This is the project my advanced students are developing right now; this is my drawing, the one that is leading everyone through the process. My students are in the 4th and 5th grades. I'd love to show their work, but that opens an entire can of worms.

My process each year progresses from drawing basics (pencil grades and composition, value, and gradation); to a self-directed freehand from photograph; to a group study using a grid; to this group study; and then to an larger, completely independent drawing. The method works well for students able to follow direction with some measure of discipline. I teach at an inner-city public school, and my group tends to be quite small.

Right now, we work for five hours a week, after school. When my schedule allows, I'll go to twelve and a half hours a week.

We no longer use graphite pencils exclusively. Since Prismacolor yanked lamp black from their ebony pencils, there's nothing out there that can manage anything more than a dark, shiny gray. So we use Cretacolor Nero charcoal pencils. While not as dark as plain charcoals, there aren't messy. And they can achieve deeper values than graphite. We do use cheap Blick 5H pencils for the lightest values. Blu-Tack for pulling back. Always from photographs, and always at a 1:1 ratio of photograph to drawing. I've stopped teaching blending with tortillons and stumps, which is but a reflection of time constraints and demographics.

This will be finished in the next few weeks, at which point the group moves on to their independent work. They like that, because it means not listening to me carry on about which pencil to use and how to look at each little line and shadow.

The originals are on the back side of that nasty Strathmore 300 Series bristol, 9×12. They are scanned in color at 300 dpi and resampled as 90 dpi black & white, presented without any correction of any kind. Which reminds me that I need to clean the scanner, again. The shadow around the perimeter exists because 9×12 paper doesn't quite fit on my little desktop scanner.
Attachments
Daniel Radcliffe 01x.jpg
Daniel Ratcliff 02x.jpg
Daniel Ratcliff 03x.jpg
Daniel Ratcliff 04x.jpg

Re: Daniel Radcliffe

Postby PogArt » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Anderson.
I really enjoyed reading your post throughout, it's been very interesting.
While it seems you're well experienced artist and the teacher, I'm selflearning and trying to improve my skills every time I can.
I'd like to try the Cretacolor Nero...
Have you heard about Staedtler Lumograph BLACK ?
Those are brand new manufactured pencils 2B - 8B grades...
They were made to avoid usual graphite shine.
Have you compared them to your Cretacolor Nero yet?
I'm asking because I'd like to find out which of two are more recommended.
Thank you for sharing a bit of what you do.
I like the drawing very much too.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby Anderson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 pm

I will be trying those in short order!

Postby PogArt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:23 pm

;)
I've mentioned Steadtler Lumograph Black because I'm drawing only with Staedtler pencils...
For rich blacks I used to use General's Kimberly 9xxB pencil which is well recommended by JD Hillberry and the Primo Elite Grande (organic black) 5000 which is more on charcoal side and it's smudging a lot, but his advantage is that you can sharpen it to pin point like common pencil...
I still keep them for making tonal differences within black tones of my drawings, to be able to separate blacks whenever I need to...
I've purchased Staedtler Lumograph Black as soon as I've noticed them on sale...
I've replaced my common Staedtler B grades with them.
Unfortunately there isn't B grade but B2 B4 B6 and B8 as far as I know...
I'm glad I could be of any help ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Anderson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:44 am

I've ordered a little tin. I wonder if the 8B Black is the same as the 8B that comes with the "regular' pencils. I don't draw with Staedtler pencils, but I own them, and I've tested them. I remember at least one pencil that was darker than normal—it obviously had something added to the graphite.

I miss graphite pencils. They blend so well; the malleability of graphite affords sublime photorealism....But then there is that shine and the absence of deeper values. Someone needs to put lamp black in their layout pencils!

I've posted a third image to show the drawings are progressing.

Postby PogArt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Thank you for letting me know dear friend...
I can't tell how the Lumograph Black differ from the normal Staedtler pencils, but one thing I've noticed for sure...

To me , if I remember well, the Limograph Black 2B was similar to normal B in my opinion...
2B LB is kind of hard pencil, I feel it noticable harder than 4B LB. From 4B LB up to 8B you can feel softness , but for some reason 2B is on harder side...
I might be wrong but this is what I feel while using them ;)

I might be also a bit wrong telling you my comparison to the normal pencils...
It's because it was a whileeee ago, when I were testing and comparing them...

Since then I'm using normal Staedtler (blue) up to B hardness, and then from 2B up to 8B Lumograph Black only...

Best regards.
Artur.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Anderson » Wed May 31, 2017 12:36 am

I have tested the Staedtler pencils. I think Cretacolor has them beat with their range. The overall quality is about the same. They've obviously using similar recipes.

The drawing's been done a while. The kids had to stretch on this one, as his hair is a bit more untamed than the drawing we did last year.

I will remain on the lookout for an especially dark graphite pencil. I have a couple boxes of the older DESIGN EBONY with lamp black, but those will not last forever. Or maybe they will, given how slowly I've been working.

Perhaps JD's friends at General can come up with something to set the world to rights.

Postby PogArt » Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ;)
I'm leraning this year pastels...
My aim is to master this medium,and to produce drawings in colour...
Long way before I will call my skills good ...
So for now I'm giving up graphite pencils to practice on pastels.
Thank you again for letting know, how you go with Staedtler pencils and your research ;)
Best regards.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING