and UK Studio dates
available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

How would you solve this white paper problem?

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

How would you solve this white paper problem?

Postby Julxa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 am

So I am drawing someone who wears white clothing, on white paper.

I am mostly done, except for the clothes.

If the paper is white, how will i make the clothes look white too?

I was thinking of painting the background or changing it, but how could i do it without looking patchy?

I want to paint or somehow make the background a grey/darker colour, but how could i achieve so it looks like it was grey paper in the first place.. i really need it to look smooth and even.

How would you solve this problem?

Re: How would you solve this white paper problem?

Postby Bev » Tue May 02, 2017 12:02 pm

You could use powdered graphite for the background although it wont come out totally smooth, but you can get a really nice effect by rubbing it in with your fingers. A white shirt is never completely white, but full of shadows and shades of grey. Look very carefully at your ref photo and you will notice a lot of tone there.
I am assuming you are working in graphite pencil, from a photo? It might help if you posted both your ref and your drawing. It would makre it easier to judge where your problem is.
Bev

Postby john c » Tue May 09, 2017 7:30 am

Change the shirt color If you leave it white it look unfinished make it light gray then the hilite will show better.

Postby john c » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 am

Never use your finger as a tool The oil from your skin will kill the paper and will show . Use a tissue, chamous, felt, fabric, anything but you fingers.

Postby KenBrown » Wed May 10, 2017 8:57 am

Drawing something white on white paper seems counter intuitive but it actually is easier than you at first think. Considering that drawing is all really an illusion we need to fool the viewer into seeing "white" when the truth is they are looking at gray. Do not leave any white area plain paper or the drawing will appear to be transparent or translucent. In fact, the only areas I leave as white paper are the catchlights in eyes - specular highlights. Sometimes these need to be toned down but I always leave them bare paper until the very end when I adjust their values as needed. For white areas I make sure the paper has a solid layer of a lightly applied 6H at the very least. I use the side of the pencil in an underhand grip and apply the graphite with almost no pressure. For fur or hair I will follow the direction of the growth - for skin or perhaps clothing I will use a circular/elliptical motion. In either case I will go over the area until it has a solid value and is easily darker than the paper - but not very much darker. It takes some practice but here's a couple examples at least of animals ...

04232015-1.jpg

Here's a white T-shirt ...

05102017-1.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Postby Bev » Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 am

Hi John, I understand that you are not supposed to use your fingers, but I do very often and have never had a problem....but then I do have dry skin :-)
Bev

Postby john c » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 am

If you use charcoal you will notice it Also the type of paper makes a difference to, I use arches 140 rag. But in art there are no rules so if it works for you then use fingers.

Postby Bev » Sun May 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Mellotex paper (very smooth) and Graphite powder John. Only for backgrounds though.
Bev

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING