available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Couples On The Beach

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Couples On The Beach

Postby PogArt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi my friends.
I do feel so sorry for not posting anything for a long time...
I am working for a long time, too long time on some commission portrait for my friend.
It is taking so long, because I've had some broke down, cause of my dog's surgery.
She's had her eye removed, about two months ago.
She was born with this eye like such, but after three years the eye was looking like an Zombie's eye...
The best way was to remove it to give my dog some relief.
We've been though such difficult time, and I did stop working on this commission work for about 6 weeks, looking after my dog and dealing with everything she were going through. I've had no dog's insurance policy as well, what has caused me being in bad financial situation...
It would become too long story to tell , so I stop it now.
Nevertheless, since my dog started getting better, I've started slowly getting back to my commission drawing.
This is why I've had not posted for so long time in here, I had not much to show.
I were posting some updates on FB Drawing Group, because it was quicker and straight forward to do so.
I'm sorry for behaving like this.
I'm posting this commission progress right now for you, to let you check it out.
Forgive me it's quality, it's my mobile phone's camera...
I hope you like it ;)

A3 Size in graphite pencils.
Attachments
18236663_1303809756335306_375318897_o.jpg
Work in progress
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Re: Couples On The Beach

Postby Bev » Thu May 04, 2017 10:20 am

I know I commented on this drawing in Facebook, but I will take the time to comment here too Artur.
I think this is your best yet. The skin tones work so well, and they are never easy. Keep going friend, your customers are going to love it.
I hope your beloved dog is making a good recovery. Dogs cope so much better with operations like these so much better than humans do, so I hope she is back to running around happily now.
Bev

Postby Laurene » Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I completely agree with Bev. Your skin tones are amazing Arthur! This is top-notch work! Your friends will love it.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog but I'm happy to hear that she's feeling better now. We feel so helpless when our pets are sick or injured but they often show us that they can carry on much better than we would! She's lucky to have you.

Postby PogArt » Thu May 04, 2017 5:28 pm

This is what we were talking about my friends ;)
20 views/2 comments ;)
We always do comment, you Laurene, Bev, Linda and few more I'm sorry not to mention ;)

Bev, I know you were posting for me keen comments on FB, so I didn't even expect you, to post for me in here ;)
But thank you so much, and I believe there is more good points, on my drawing than bad, because I'm not seing critiques from you ;)
Regarding Shiba, she were just starting the fight with two other dogs, hopefully the fogs we wearing muzzles, and I were pinning Shiba down the ground...
Yes ;) She's doing well, lol ;)
Thank you ;)

Laurene, I didn't want trigger you or Bev,to take a part in posting below this drawing for me ,;)
It's because I know I can always count on you and few others on this forum, to get some advises sooner or later, whenever you spot I've posted something ;)
Yes dear Laurene, Shiba is very well (look above ;) )
And she were in poor condition due to the surgery done, but she wasn't showing as much pain as we humans would do... Thank you ;)

Thank you both very much again,for positive comments, and having your keen feedback I'm even more encouraged to keep going, because your opinions matters to me ;)

Thank you once more ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi everybody and friends ;)
Another quick update ;)
I've been carry on adjusting some shades, tones and I were working to draw the base shape of his watch...
Slowly getting closer to the final ;)
All critiques and suggestions are very welcome!!!
The pictures are taken by my mobile phone, so I am sorry for poor quality and not being able to mirror exactly what I can see on the paper ...
Thank you for watching and any comments ;)
Attachments
TDF1.jpg
The whole area
TDF2.jpg
The watch ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Sun May 07, 2017 9:55 am

Bev said this is your best work yet and I completely agree with her. The details in your drawing are so carefully studied, from the reflections of the water in the sunglasses to the way that the lettering of the tattoo follows the contours of the man's chest!

I hope you can take the time to have a proper scan done or to take a proper photo when the drawing is finished so that you'll have something to remember the quality of this work before you give it to your friend. When the drawing is gone, you'll be glad you did.

Postby PogArt » Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks a lot Laurene!!!
I'm so pleased you did notice all the details I were working on ;) This is the first time I'm forced to gibe my best regarding so many details...
Glasses, reflections they do mirror, the light on skin behind the glasses, complicated and not so easy tattoos to follow, ,her freckles everywhere and the water ...
It's consuming lots of time and leaving you with feelings, that the progress is not much noticeable...
But there is progress, you can see it,so the others I hope ;)
My earlier portraits are uncomparable to this one, because of lack of such small,difficult things to follow, that are so important to mark...
Without the freckles covering whole her body,his tattoos and such small details, the drawing wouldn't be able to show their attitude,good mood and most importantly their character and their personalities ;)
How could I have miss her freckles or his tattoos ;)
It's time taking, but it has to be done ;)
I feel sorry for myself,because the drawing was promised about two years ago, and because I'm very honest person I feel I shall keep the word given at that time...
So for my best ever portrait I am capable of, I shall keep the price given £35 ;)
Being honest and to keep words given, is more important to me, than the empty money...

Dear Mike Sibley has adviced me to take the scan rather than the picture of my work...
If I remember, he had adviced that any scan will be able to show more details of soft shading than any picture due to white balance on digital cameras,that's not as good as the scan regarding graphite drawings...
Before I hand this drawing to my friend, I'll make sure I'll take proper, memorable 'picture' of it ;)
I'll get in touch with Mike when I'm ready, because all my work is on my website , so this one will be there no doubts ;)
Thank you for your great feedback Laurene ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby john c » Wed May 10, 2017 5:24 am

I dont think the amount of comments one post gets is important but the but what you take from those one or two comments and what you learn is . I push the dark's more the picture looks flat.

Postby PogArt » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks John!
So I should ho even darker...
That's my problem from beginning, I'm just scared to go darker than this... I'm afraid I will ruin my efforts to get this far? ... I know you right... ;)
I am still pushing the darks darker in some shadow areas, that I think they should be darker to give some more dimensional effect...
I don't know if this will be enough to make the whole drawing looking any better?
I'll try to be more brave regarding blacks...
Thank you for your keen advice John.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 pm

PogArt wrote:Thanks John! So I should go even darker...

Personally, I think your darks are most probably dark enough - it's just your photo that makes the drawing look flat, because the contrast is missing. Just hang on while I search my overcrowded desktop.......... got it!

Same photo cleaned up and adjusted. If this looks close to your original then I think you're doing fine.
artur.jpg
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby PogArt » Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Thank you Mike for your keen attention ;)
I got the point now !
It's not down to my drawing being flat, but the quality of the picture I'm posting in here!?
I bet I mentioned that my pictures in here are taken by my mobile phone ;)
I didn't know they are that bad ;)
Lol ;)
Your corrections Mike showing the real beauty of my drawing ;)
It tells me something...
I need to post better quality of my drawings to get better advices...
It seems I'm just confusing all members by posting poor quality pictures of my drawings...
Then the comments I receive, aren't equal to what I do, because the comments are equal to the quality of the picture ...
Lol ;)
I promise I'll put more attention to the pictures I'm sharing with you my friends ;)
Thank you very much Mike for pointing that out for me ;)
I nearly started reworking my drawing again ...
I haven't notice that the advices are made up due to the pictures I share, but the pictures aren't showing well, what's on my paper , lol ;)
Thank you Mike again !!!
Good point !!!
Good lesson for me ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Bev » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 am

I wont add too much to what has already been said by Mike and Laurene, they have said it all. Well done Artur, I still stand by my comment that it is your best yet, and now that Mike has tweaked it for you I can see just how good it is.
Only one thing (which I am sure you will correct for the future) and that is your price. Way too low, you are worth more my friend!
Bev

Postby PogArt » Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am

Hahahaaaa ;)
Thanks dear Bev , lol ;)
Honor is honor, given promise is given promise ... ;)
The next commision, if it comes, I'll charge as it should be or I'll refuse rather, than spending my time for no rewards ;)
You're very keen, THANK YOU ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi my dear friends ...
I have finished my drawing couple days ago, but been unable to post update due to busy working hours...
The customer-my friend was amazed ;)
Actually I didn't expect such keen reaction!
He , his wife and the wife's parents... he said they all were overwhelmed ;)
I was so pleased to receive such comments and compliments ;)
Please bear in mind I'm again posting the picture without much correction, nearly straight out of my mobile phone's camera, so it might not give you exact of the original drawing...
Thank you very much for following and for many keen comments ;)
Attachments
tdf.jpg
FINISHED
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 am

It's a great that your friends can appreciate just how much work went into this, as well as the quality of the work. This is top-notch work Arthur! Congratulations!!

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING