available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

My One & Only

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

My One & Only

Postby Bob1298 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:06 pm

My One & Only.jpg
15" X 26" on Strathmore 500 plate. Background Kimberly 9xxx, burnished with 2H, leaves 9xxx, rest of drawing 2H - 6B.
Critique appreciated.

Re: My One & Only

Postby Laurene » Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 am

This is just lovely! I can only imagine how it looks in real life as it is quite a large drawing. It must be quite striking! There must be a very interesting story attached to this.

Can you tell us a bit about the Kimberly pencils? I've heard of them but I never tried them. You certainly achieved a beautifully deep black background with the "9xxx".

Postby Bob1298 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Laurene, thank you for taking the time to review my work. Yes there are wonderful memories of my "Mary", she past on in 1993 but a treasure never forgotten. As to the Kimberly Pencils by General... I was not clear enough in my explanation, the only Kimberly I used is the 9xxx and that is because of the flat black it produces. Probably due to a high carbon content, it is also a large dia. pencil...very soft. I think that JD uses this pencil. As for the rest of the Kimberly pencils NOT SO GOOD lots of impurities. The rest of the drawing done with with Mr Mike Sibley's favorite...Staedtler Mars clutch pencils. Will try to be clearer next time. PS drawing darker than shown...taken with cell phone

Postby Laurene » Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks for that information Bob. I've seen the Kimberly pencils around but like you I always use Staedtler Mars clutch pencils. I haven't tried the 9xxx but it looks like it does a really god job with blacks. I'll definitely stay away from the other grades though! Thanks for the warning.

I knew there must be a touching story behind the drawing - it just seems to be drawn with love.

Postby john c » Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 am

push the darks more on the flowers.

Postby Bob1298 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 pm

John, thank you, appreciate your thought...drawing is in fact darker than post. Was taken with cell phone I agree with your critique.

Postby john c » Wed May 10, 2017 4:38 am

I agree always use Staedtler pencils

Postby kennyc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Wonderful Bob! Love the contrast you achieved. The 9xxB is something. I'm trying to figure it out. J.D. is of course the master of mixing media.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING