November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

"Baby Girl Hana" in pastels

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

"Baby Girl Hana" in pastels

Postby PogArt » Mon May 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi my friends.
I'm happy to have finished the latest commission drawing of couples on the beach in graphite pencils.
Now I'm free to start what I were planning for 2017 - to learn new media PASTELS ;)
I'm searching YouTube for pastels tutorials, and I'm trying to practice...
I have a great hope, that one day I'll be able to say, that I've mastered this media ;)
Thank you very much for watching, all suggestions and tips are very welcome, if you don't mind to help me out ;)
Thank you.

This is my niece, her name is Hana and she's nearly 6 months old.
I've chosen this picture because she's looking so sweet.
Stabilo CarbOthello pastels
A4 Pastelmat White Paper
Attachments
TDF3.jpg
TDF2.jpg
TDF.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Re: "Baby Girl Hana" in pastels

Postby PogArt » Mon May 29, 2017 5:39 pm

A little bit of today's progress ...
I hope you like it ;)
Attachments
TDF.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue May 30, 2017 12:07 am

Talk about adorable!! Just look at those baby blues :)

I can't believe this is your first pastel portrait Arthur. Looks to me like you nailed the skin tone!

Postby PogArt » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am

Honesty?
Wow ;)
I'm very happy you like it !!!
Trust me, at the first attempts of drawing with pastels it's more on guess side than knowing what to do, lol ;)
Thank you for the time to have a look ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi everybody ...
Just updating what I've done till now ;)
First layers are quick, but details taking time ...
I hope you like it :)
Thank you for following ;)
Attachments
TDF.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Keep going Arthur. Looks great! Skin tones are lovely and that bright polka dot ribbon is fabulous. The fabric twists and turns beautifully according to where you placed the light shadows.

Postby PogArt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Thank you Laurene for your keen comment ;)
The farther I go the more time details are consuming ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi dear friends...
I've just finished the pastel portraiture of my niece Hana ;)
I think it's looking just OK for the first portrait?
I took crap picture by my mobilephone's camera and I did post it on FB account straight away...
Soon after I realised how bad the quality is , and it's actually ruined the effect of my drawing?!
Now I've had some time to spent on it , and I did some corrections on Photoshop, to get the crap picture as close to original drawing as possible...
I'm not so good regarding Photoshop skills, but I did my best to make the picture as close to the original drawing as possible.
In my point of view, comparing the drawing to the Photoshop adjustments, it's very close to what I've got on the paper.
All your critiques and suggestions are very welcome !!!

I've found one problem if you could help?

Making the shadow area...
I don't know how to do it with colours !!!?

I've had to draw shadows over blue colour, over the flesh on to the forehead where the bowtie is and on red areas...
I tried to use brown pastel for shadow on blue, then I were reworking that area, placing over the brown shadow , the blue again ?
On the flesh, forehead ... I were using light brown, dark brown and then over it the flesh tone pastel to match it to the surroundings?
The easiest were shadows on to red?
Just dark brown and over layering it a bit with red and dark red pastel ?

I'm begging you for some tips and techniques , how to properly drawing the shadows being aware of different colours that shadows laying on...

Thank you for any advice.
Attachments
TDF Forum Ready !!!.jpg
Finished
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:03 am

She's just darling, Arthur!! I think you have a real talent as a pastel artist!
You know I can't help with pastels and how to shadow, but did you ask Bev? She's wonderful with pastels.

Postby PogArt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:50 am

Thank you very much Laurene ;)
If I've got talent then I have to ask 'him' to help me out drawing better and better ;)
Some person on FB Group has suggested, that I put too much pink/red on one side cheek, and that it's taking much attention ... I did it in purpose, to make this cheek standing out, it's on shadow side too, I tried to make this cheek richer in colour to attract the attention ;)
Do you think it's my mistake,or it's up to personal point of view Laurene? ;)
Bev has seen it on FB, I try to ask her to read my question over TDF ;)
I didn't ask this question over FB ;)
Many people just like to receive thumbs up?
I have had couple days ago a bad situation...
Some artist did share her portrait of the dog.
It was very nicely drawn, I did compliment it, but then I have suggested that there is minor disproportion regarding the muzzle ;) At first look you could tell the dog's muzzle is too long and thus too thin compared to the head, duck like nearly ;) So I did suggest to plan the drawing, the outline stage more precisely to avoid such situations at next drawings ;)
I think I were keen, she has called me a fool ;)
Fool looking for mistakes to point them out ;)
I didn't go this way ;)
I were very calm and gentleman every time I did reply for what she were calling me ;)
I have raported her to the admin, but she did remove that post by herself earlier ;)
Now I send only hearts or thumbs up... ;)
If I don't like anything I don't react ,)
People ...
;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Bev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Artur, sorry I missed you questions until this morning. I have replied to one of them in messenger, but the others regarding shading I will try and answer here.
Firstly, as you must have noticed I don't do humans so I cant help you much regarding skin tones, but I do know that many artists will use green in the flesh tones and browns as well. Green sounds an odd one but if you look very carefully at some of the old master portrait artists you will see a huge range of different colours. Study the artists who's work you like and really look at how they achieve their flesh tones. Can be very helpful.
I would suggest that you do some practice pieces using different colours for the skin tones and shading until you are happy with how things look (don't forget to keep notes of the colours you have used)
Shading can be tricky, but using colours which are opposite on the colour wheel work well, such as red over green, purples with yellows and oranges, blues with reds. If you can buy yourself a colour wheel (I think the saa.co.uk has a couple of good ones) it will help you with understanding how colours work together. With the red bow, I might have used a very dark blue (indigo or similar) or purple. Again lay down some colours on a practice sheet and play with colour combinations, (keep notes) just let your instincts take over, don't become intimidated, you are only practising, so you can relax and have fun seeing what works and what doesn't work and you wont be afraid of messing up a good picture. Using contrasting colours will bring life to your pictures.
Hope this will give you something to work on Artur.
Bev

Postby Bev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

I am sorry to hear you got a nasty response to what you thought was a helpful comment, but I honestly think that people only post on facebook to get likes. I will not crit a piece on FB even though the errors are so obvious or even if comments and crits are asked for.
Sadly you found out the hard way Artur and it makes me sad that people cant take what is obviously a helpful comment (after all it's how we learn). But facebook is full of very strange people, so I am careful what I say.
Bev

Postby Bev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 am

Just to add to the shading questions, I do think that the cheek is a little too red (although there will be some reflection from the red bow) if you look at the colours you have used on her head (right hand, top) you have used some brown (I think) perhaps you can tone down her cheek by using that brown, just a little and see how that works, Go gently to make sure it works before committing too heavily.
Bev

Postby PogArt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Such a long and full answer Bev !!!
I AM APPRECIATED THAT !!!
So many information, I love it, thank you very much ;)
I won't be bothered with that drawing any more.
It was for practice only Bev, and I think it's too pinky as well, but I were aiming to push the pink that far, so at some point it was meant to be this way, as a learning experiment ;)

The woman from FB Group started excuses regarding the nose, but I were suggesting the muzzle?
I did mention to her, it's not any critique because the drawing is well made, I daid it's keen suggestion only...
So she replied I did critique her drawing for not reason...
Actually she took all wrong what I were saying and did turn it against me, so I did stop conversation as soon as I have notised she is so confused and upset with my post ;)
I won't do it again ;)
Thumbs up, hearts only or nothing ;)
Well, there is one more emoticon I'm using for crap looking drawings ,) it's the "wow" ;)
They might think their art amazed me, but from me the wow means - how the hell someone could draw like this and share it,asking for advices ;)
This is I'm using the "wow" for , lol ;)
People are crazy, you think you keen to help them, but they taking it as an offence... lol ;)
I've raported that woman to the Jason Morgan and I did explain him what was happened...
He did agree with me, and he said most off the artists just waiting for thumbs up, nothing more ;)

All the best Bev !!!
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING