available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Old Weathered Woman with One Good Eye

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Old Weathered Woman with One Good Eye

Postby kennyc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 pm

How's that for a drawing title? I was thinking of calling it 'Lilly' but .....

Anyway. I spent a good long while trying to find my next victim.....and not much luck....I had actually decided on another image/portrait but backed out at the last minute and moved to this one. I sketched both on the 'new' Conqueror Paper after getting it and playing around with it a bit (other posts/threads but no responses/takers about the experience of others with the Conqueror Paper) but wanted to try it with a real drawing.

After a couple of hours I began to hate it. It seems to act more like Bristol Smooth (which I've learned to hate) than Arches whereas it seems Mellotex is more in the middle ... or maybe it's just because I'm used to using Mellotex for the past few years and probably a dozen or so drawings.

I was thinking back to when I first started using Mellotex...I was hesitant because it's not available here in the U.S. and I had to order it from Mike and when I did I ordered more. Since I got back in the drawing game I found out it wasn't available and ordered a batch of Conqueror.

Well, as I said, after a couple of hours on this drawing I was not pleased at all and decided to pull out the Mellotex and restart it -- which I did. I was much happier. But this got me to thinking that when I first tried Mellotex I did duplicate drawings on both Arches HP and Mellotex. You probably see where this is going. I'm going to try this one on both types of paper simultaneously. That will of course likely stretch out the timeframe unless I decide to abandon one or the other. And no Promises about completing both...we'll see....

Here's the sketch/tracing (on Conqueror):
492U5351-S.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Re: Old Weathered Woman with One Good Eye

Postby kennyc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Wow....this is getting old already. :lol: Just shot images of the progress so here ya go:

Conqueror after 3.5 hours:

492U5360-Conqueror-S.jpg

and Mellotex after 2 hours (but not fighting nearly as much as I did with the above)

492U5358-mellotex-S.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Laurene » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:32 pm

How's that for a drawing title? I was thinking of calling it 'Lilly' but .....

:lol: :lol: :lol: You got my attention!

I wouldn't have the patience to draw the same drawing on 2 different papers! I tried the Conqueror and I personally liked it. I had to go with the feel of a new paper but I honestly didn't feel as much difference as you did. It worked great for fur textures and deep rich darks and that's what I need. Don't know about skin texture though.

Looks to me like you chose a perfect subject for your style, Ken! Will be following.

Postby kennyc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks Laurene. After a few more hours I'm not quite so negative but still having to fight it more than the Mellotex. I just put in another hour on the Mellotex version and am considering working through it before going back to the Conqueror....we'll see...I'll post an update soon...

Thanks for watching and for your input on the paper!

Enjoy!
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby kennyc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Well.....here we are.....I've spent just about twice as much time on the Conqueror paper as the Mellotex paper and I don't think that's strictly because of 'getting familiar with it. I'm feeling it's just harder to work with.... but anyway.....I'm also thinking the Mellotex version is looking better but that may just be me or my bias in drawing/evaluating. Admittedly they are both very rough at this point and need a lot of adjustment/finishing....but I also tell you I'm beginning to not be having any fun doing this so may just drop the whole thing and focus on one paper and complete it...or may even abandon this image and do something different...I'm gonna sleep on it a bit.

About 8.5 hours so far on the Conqueror paper:
492U5368-S-Conqueror.jpg

and about 5 hours on the Mellotex:
492U5366-S-Mellotex.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 am

Eye Work -- good eye that is -- on Mellotex about 3 more hours

492U5370-SM.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Laurene » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 am

Glad you didn't give up on this Ken. If you're more comfortable working on the mellotex, just finish this one. You can always try the conqueror again on something else. I just took one sheet and played around with small vignettes and textures at first, rather than trying a complete finished drawing. Worked out OK for me that way.

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 am

I'm thinking about doing exactly that. :D I did play around with the Conqueror a bit before, but clearly not enough.

Working this eye though (that head-rag is just boring) has made me curious to do it on the conqueror. LOL!
I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. .... well not sleep on the drawing .... but.... you know....
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Slept on it....still not certain, but think I want to try the eye area on the Conqueror paper.....

and another thought just struck me.....maybe I should expand the experiment.....try this drawing on Bristol Smooth and on Arches HP......... :o :shock:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Laurene » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm

:lol: :lol: I dare 'ya! :twisted:

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Laurene wrote::lol: :lol: I dare 'ya! :twisted:

:cry: :? :shock: :o

hey I might just do it!

working on the Conqueror version right now...working over towards that eye.....will try to get that done today for experimental/comparison purposes.

....hmmm maybe I should try that eye on the other two types.....
:mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby kennyc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 pm

I worked on the 'good eye' area on the Conqueror version...about 1.5 hour is not quite as finisned/detailed perhaps as the previous/mellotex version, but here it is and I'm not feeling quite a 'bad' about this paper.....still though I took Laurene up on the challenge and did the eye quickly on both Arches HP Bright White and Bristol Smooth (not that the Arches is not nearly as bright-white as the Bristol which is pretty much the same 'whiteness' as the Conqueror. Did I confuse you yet? .... Good! :lol:

Old Weathered Woman on Conqueror (about 10.5 hours)
492U5372-SC.jpg

and the eye (done quickly so pretty crude/nasty) maybe an hour or less each:
Arches HP Bright White on left, Bristol Smooth on the right
492U5374-S.jpg

And so what did I learn? They are all good papers! I had not used Arches in probably a decade and I learned/relearned a new appreciation for it. Very smooth, easy to draw on and grabs the graphite easily in the tooth...but the tradeoff of course is the it is not as easy to get the very small details in (which is important when working at 9 x 11 inches, my typical size).

Also the Bristol was not as horrible as I remembered .... or maybe I've just learned a bit in the mean time about putting graphite on paper? :D
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Laurene » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Wow Kenny, hats off to you. Don't think I would have had the patience to do what you did!

Good to know that there are several good alternatives out there because Mellotex just isn't an option anymore. Not only does the company no longer exist but as I understand it the equipment used to make it has been destroyed too. I still have a cache and I'm grateful but I have to admit it's one of those things when we think we can't ever adapt to different supplies and of course we can. Conqueror is a really close match to Mellotex, and now you gave us 2 other alternatives. As long as I don't lose my lucky pencil, I should be OK! :D

Postby kennyc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes, lucky pencils!!!

Speaking of pencils....I've been using primarily 2mm clutch pencils forever and am becoming more enamored with the Pacific brand lead instead of Staedtler more these days, but both are excellent leads!
Pacific seems a bit softer/darker, YMMV.

The Twins this morning (Conqueror left, Mellotex right)
492U5379-S.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby kennyc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:57 pm

After getting this far and trying the good eye on four different papers I believe I'm going to just move ahead with the Mellotex version (and then maybe/probably come back and finish the Conqueror version)

so Where da Lady? After a couple more hours this afternoon (total of about 10.5 hours)

Here's the Lady 9 x 11 on Mellotex

492U5382-SM.jpg
Kenny A. Chaffin

Next

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING