March 9 - 11, 2018

Subject: Smooth Skin
FULL
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

First time here at the Forum

The joint forum of JD Hillberry and Mike Sibley. Tap into over 50 years of combined professional experience and join in.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

First time here at the Forum

Postby sroland722 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi all, just joined the forum and looking forward to learning so much from everyone. I am self taught and be drawing casually for the past 9 months. The pictures uploaded are from February till now. Learned great deal from Lee Hammond regarding highlights and shading and have learned from Darryl Tank regarding making hair look more realistic. At this point only used two pencils, 2B for most everything and recently introduced 4H for the hair. Please note all of these pictures are done solely for my enjoyment and practice, certainly not meant for anything else nor would I ever want to sell them. That being said, Tyrion was my breakthrough in allowing me to go much darker with everything to bring elements like the hands out. Please look at them all and welcome any feedback. Would love to learn from the masters! Want to continually improve, especially hair, and make the drawings very realistic. My passion is the graphite portraits and goal is to get good enough to start taking my own reference photos of my grandchildren and draw them as they continue to grow up. Feel free to offer suggestions, insights, critiques, etc. Anything is fair game. Happy to pass along my experiences as well to anyone i can help in return. Example is in "Happy" picture looked a bit flat until added small background and wow now it just adds so much depth.

Thanks and can't wait to become part of this forum, thanks for creating.

**** Corrected orientation ****
Attachments
Happy.jpg
Hair.jpg
Kelli.jpg
Steve.jpg
Tyrion.jpg

Site Admin

Re: First time here at the Forum

Postby Mike Sibley » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Welcome to TDF!

Hang on while I get the crick out of my neck from viewing sideways :)

First up: Kelli. Good likeness - I'm assuming - but devoid of all the usual errors. So I know you've learned to see correctly. Good face but I think the hair is rather flat - mainly due to very similar values being used throughout.

SteveJ: Much the same a Kelli but (this might be a fault of the photo) the shading looks rather blocky - the values don't flow seamlessly into each other. On the other hand it does give a rugged look.

Hair: ... much the same again. Good face, flat hair - sorry! Excellent three-quarter eyes, nose and mouth, which is where the errors often occur.

Happy: I agree the background does punch the portrait forward. I'm rather distracted by the lettering, which (especially "redwood") is the darkest value in the drawing. It dominates. The image is too small to comment on detail, but the overall form and sense of realism is good.

Tyrion: I copied this one and popped it into Photoshop, so I could look at it the right way up. Then I enlarged it, removed the colour and adjusted the values. With that in mind... the hair has volume! The values of the face smoothly merge together. The nose highlight predominates, which serves to push it forwards and add depth. The eyes are both looking in the same direction, which isn't easy to achieve at that angle. I didn't adjust the darks but I'm assuming the left-hand bottom corner probably reflects the values in the rest of the drawing, in which case it's got good contrast and punch. My only criticism, based purely on what I can see in a 2x enlargement, is that the shading of the jacket loses some reality due to the visible lines of shading. Is it leather? It appears to be. If it is, leather is smooth with no expected linear textures, such as weave, so visible lines within the shading damage the overall appearance of reality.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby sroland722 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the honest feedback, much appreciated. Is there a better way to upload the attachments so they don't come in sideways? Also, unfortunately I think a lot of detail, smoothness and depths are getting missed due to the compression size of the pictures. Agree the hair still needs work, but feel like the "Hair" one does have some fullness in real although it could easily use more.

Anyway, appreciate the input and will definitely use it as I do more. Think I am also going to upload full size pictures to another website and just place the links here so that way it can be seen full size and more easily enlarged.

Postby sroland722 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm

By the way meant to ask if you can point me in a right direction as to how to draw the hair better with more volume, etc??? Let me know as would like to practice that. Thanks.

Postby sroland722 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Just for fun wanted to add a few more, just because :)) Even managed to get turned correctly, so no more crick!
Attachments
Lady.jpg
Hugh.jpg
Emilia.jpg
Dwayne.jpg

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Scott, you can post bigger images than the ones you've posted. The limits are:
Filesize: 500KB
Max Image size: 1000pixels x 1500 pixels.

TDF operates from my 1TB server and shares its space with my websites, so I was wary of TDF taking up the bulk of the storage. It looks as though TDF isn't taking up the space I thought it would, so I will review those limits later - after I've rebuilt TDF because it needs to be upgraded soon.

You mentioned using links to your images. For best results, post your images directly here. Busy artists often don't have time to access work posted offsite, but will comment if it's instantly available.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby sroland722 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:58 am

Mike,

Thanks once again, appreciate all your advice and input!!!

I have re-uploaded all of my pictures (9 of them) so they are all facing correctly and much larger images so you and others can see better. :))

Can't wait to draw more and better!!!

Return to EVERYTHING DRAWING