available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Dalmatian - personal work

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Dalmatian - personal work

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:01 am

Hi all, while I wait for the photos to come through for my next commission, I thought I'd take the chance to work on a drawing of my late dalmatian. Trying out a few new things with this drawing, like using the 6B and 8B pencils, as well as a circular motion instead of my usual "hack n' slash" method haha. It's also on a new size for me, 14x17". Strathmore Windpower Bristol Smooth paper. It seems a bit brighter than the 300 series that I'm used to and I'm quite liking it so far.

Here's my reference:
makka-5989smalltdf.jpg

And here's where I'm up to so far:
makka-7346smtdf.jpg

Re: Dalmatian - personal work

Postby KrissyNZ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 am

Starting to smooth out that background a bit more and add some more detail to the face. 8hrs of work so far, still so long to go :D Nice to see my handsome boy coming back to life again even if it's just on paper.

makka-7397tdf.jpg

Postby Bev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:16 pm

This is looking really good so far Krissy, Doing the background using just pencil must need a great deal of patience. You also seem to be getting a nice black, are you using a lot of pressure?

Postby Laurene » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:47 pm

That rich deep dark background will be perfect for your dalmation. I had the same question as Bev, and was also wondering if you indented those fine whiskers on his chin.

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 am

Ah I'm not so crazy as to try doing the background with my pencils only :D I used graphite powder applied with a cheap makeup sponge to get that background in! It takes a while to build it up to that rich dark tone and how dark it gets depends on the paper, as I am finding. I was able to get much darker on the paper I am using for my Rhino, which is a different brand to this paper. I do use a lot of pressure on the sponge to really push the graphite into the tooth of the paper and make it dark.

As for the whiskers on the chin, those I have done with the Tombow Mono eraser. Indenting and graphite powder don't mix so I use the eraser before I've pushed the graphite too far into the paper to be erased. Then later I can go around them with a bit of powder on the tip of a blending stump to darken the area further. Using pencil for it doesn't work as the graphite in my pencils has a slightly warmer tint to it and to get dark enough, leaves that classic graphite shine, whereas the powder only has a very dull satin sheen to it when viewed in bright harsh light. I hope that makes sense!

Postby Bev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks Krissy, yes makes sense, that's how I have done dark backgrounds in the past. I used this same method on my avatar horse, it works well, but I confess to using a pencil around detailed areas, the shine doesn't show up too badly once a light fixative spray has been applied. Was just wondering how you approached dark backgrounds.

Postby Laurene » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks Krissy. That makes a lot of sense. I do like using graphite powder too especially for soft textures like water. Of course it's not as dark as your background though so I often clean up edges with a pencil like Bev does and it blends in pretty well.

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 am

Ah that's really helpful to know about the fixative Bev!

I've done some more work on this (my goal this year is to draw EVERY day, even if it's just a few minutes.) and I have to say, I am surprising myself. Definitely the best teeth I've ever drawn hah! Getting a bit dark unfortunately so there's a bit of shine on the background from my lights but ah well. Just reached the 11.5hr mark on it. I've also discovered that the Koh-I-Noor 6B pencil is absolutely beautiful and creamy to use, unlike the Staedtler Mars Lumograph 6B, which is rather chalky in feel and doesn't fill the tooth too well.

makka-7405-tdf.jpg

Postby Bev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Quite agree, you should be very proud of those teeth they are excellent!

Postby kennyc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Excellent Work Krissy! Love those teeth!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE