November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Jimi - Finished

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Jimi - Finished

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Jimi is an English Springer Spaniel that my grandfather rescued from an abusive home over 10 years ago now. He has changed from a scared, aggressive pup to a much loved (and loving!) loyal companion. I took this photo about 5 years ago now and thought it would make for a nice drawing!

I haven't drawn fur in over 8 years so I feel a bit overwhelmed (especially considering this is only my second drawing on A3 size!) but I will trust my instincts and see what happens. Any critique is welcomed, I've never had the luxury of being able to receive critique from artists during a drawing before! What a novelty!
Attachments
Jimi bwsm.jpg
jimiwip2-7203sm.jpg

Re: Jimi - Work in progress

Postby margieM » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:06 pm

This looks like a very nice start. The only thing I would watch is that the haws on his right eye is too large (that is his 'third eyelid'). In the photo it is prominent, but in your drawing you have it covering so much of his eye he wouldn't be able to see. It is not obvious in his left eye, so I would just de-emphasize it on his right to match. Otherwise he might look like he has an eye infection.

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Ah yes, you are right. I haven't distinguished clearly enough between the inner eyelid and the saliva next to his eye so it looks like he has one huge inner eyelid!! Thanks very much!

Postby TonyH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:15 am

You have an great start Krissy. Can't wait to see it finished.

Postby Bev » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:34 pm

This is looking great so far Krissy. I don't know how 'finished' the fur is yet but you can go very much darker I feel. Is he a black/white or liver? If he is b/w you can really push the darks in the fur. I like the eyes and once you have adjusted the third eyelid they will be perfect.
Looking forward to an update.
I agree that it is great to be able to ask for crits here, facebook is all 'likes', people seem afraid to say anything about work posted there.
I learnt much of what I know here and on our predecessor, Art Papa, where we had a great community of artists.
Bev

Postby Laurene » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Lovely work so far Krissy. I also learned so much from participating in this forum and in the old Art Papa site. Looking forward to an update!

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Thank you both so much! Bev, he's a black and white but I am struggling with this paper. I've never used it before and 2B on this is so much lighter than on any other paper! I want to try going over it with a 4B but I'm not sure how the paper will hold up since I used Max pressure already with the 2B. Very disappointed in the quality of this paper (Hahnemeuhle Bristol Smooth).

I hope to have some time tonight to make the suggested changes. Thanks again :)

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:57 am

I've had another go at his left eye and I feel a lot better about it now. Pushing the contrast really made it pop more and I also reduced the size of the inner eyelid too. It's still not perfect but I think it's a marked improvement at least. What do you all think?

I also went over some of the other fur with the 4B and I think that has made a big difference too!
Attachments
Jimiwip3.jpg
jimieyecomp.jpg

Postby moscarat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:36 am

Yep Krissy that looks better, I use Smooth Bristol board for my drawings and yes it does take a bit more work to get the darks down I think its because the graphite doesn't have much tooth to get hold of, but it does allow for much better detail. Try doing more layers of graphite rather than pressing harder. my 2B comes out darker than my 4B for some reason both the same make.

Postby Bev » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:15 am

Looking better Krissy. I use Mellotex which is pretty similar to Bristol smooth, but you can achieve very dark darks with a 2B, I use a 3B almost exclusively on my drawings with occasionally a harder HB or 2H just to crisp up areas and sometimes to blend small areas.
As Moscarat, says try adding more layers. You do have some very dark bits in the eyes so it is possible to get those darks.
Keep going, it is going to be great!
Bev

Postby margieM » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Krissy, the eye is much improved. That worked. You thought you might reduce the inner eyelid even a bit more. I think that is a good idea just because the other eye doesn't seem to have the same thickness.

If you are using the Strathmore Bristol series 500 it does take a lot of layers and going to a pretty soft pencil (I confess to a 9b a few times) to get absolutely black as for an iris. But then layer a harder pencil over to smooth out the roughness of the soft pencil. The reason I like that paper is that it will take a lot of erasing. I have only tried the Mellotex for one drawing - since it is not easy to get in the US - or the UK I guess now. So am saving my stash I bought from Mike for serious drawings. I found it was much easier to get blacks but it didn't erase quite as well as the Strathmore. But everything is a trade off I guess.

Anyway, this will be a lovely portrait when you are done.

Postby KrissyNZ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:22 am

In this case I am using Hahnemuhle Bristol Smooth as it was all the art store had in the size I wanted. I normally use Strathmore Bristol 300 and have had good experiences with that. I'll keep layering it up though! Next time I'll import some better quality paper as I'm not enjoying working on this stuff at all!

Re: his left eye, I will leave it now as to reduce the inner eyelid would strip him of one of his most defining features I think. As you can see from this picture, he is barely see out of that eye at all these days! Since the drawing is for my grandfather I think it's okay to leave it now that I've fixed it up some more. It definitely looks better after the changes!
jimmy2.jpg

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:00 am

Slowly but surely coming together. Most days I sit down and feel positively overwhelmed by the enormity of this undertaking! Hair has always been the element I have struggled with the most, so to draw something almost entirely comprised of hair is a huge challenge and learning experience. (What better way to learn how to draw something than spend an enormous amount of time drawing it right?)

Almost 8 hours in now. Lip/mouth nearly finished and have started filling in the nose and tongue to give me a breather from the fur. I am thinking I will start breaking the drawing down into segments and spend an hour or two on each of those little segments before moving onto the next one. I'm hoping it will help me feel less overwhelmed and panicked each time I sit down!

And as a photographer, I really ought to put more effort into photographing this better too! (Eg no more cellphone pictures!!!) :D
Attachments
Jimiwip1.jpg

Postby Laurene » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:40 pm

:) We all feel overwhelmed sometimes, but I think you have the perfect solution. Just break it down into sections and then you can think of them as individual small drawings. Much less intimidating that way. I do it all the time too!

Super update!

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 pm

]It's been a few months but I've got a bit of an update on this piece. I heard from my grandfather that Jimi is very unwell and may need to be put to sleep to end his pain & suffering, so I am trying to get this done as quickly as I can :( Will miss this beautiful old boy very much but have so many great memories of him.

13hrs and 26mins of work so far. Still not finished his nose so I think it looks a bit funny right now but I'll fix it up as I go :D Sorry about the lighting, sun is just rising here! Still getting the hang of photographing my drawings with just the right exposure.
Attachments
Jimiwip.jpg

Next

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE