204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Jimi - Finished

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Jimi - Work in progress

Postby Laurene » Wed May 18, 2016 12:56 pm

It's a shame about Jimi, but all the more reason why this portrait of him will always be cherished. He's coming along beautifully. I remember that you were worried about the fur, but I think I would have found the mouth a lot more challenging. You're rendering it perfectly im my opinion. Are you planning on a dark background Krissy, or is that just a shadow on the photo in the lower left hand side?
Laurene

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu May 19, 2016 5:41 am

Thank you Laurene! I'm really pleased with how his mouth has turned out so far! The fur on his muzzle is the next challenge for me to tackle. He'd just been in the water so has wet fur on his lips! Drawing the individual clumps will be interesting.

The lower part of the background will be semi-dark and the top part will be a bit of bokeh from the out of focus trees/leaves that were overhanging the back of the vehicle he was in. I still haven't quite got out of the mode of drawing absolutely everything but I've at least added a border this time. Baby steps :D

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 am

Here's a better picture of where it's at. You can see I've started the bokeh in the background. I haven't finished blocking in the dark section of the background just yet as I need to work out some of the fur in that area first. Lots of darkening and detailing still to go on the top of his head and in the spots on his muzzle. Almost finished the left lip and I think that has turned out ok considering I have no idea what I'm doing!

The paper's fibers are already lifting in some of the dark areas where I've done too many layers so that's disappointing :( Good lesson for next time: Start dark straight away!
Attachments
Jimiworkinprogress.jpg

Postby lmweil » Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 am

So sad to hear about Jimi. Keep at it, it is looking wonderful and will be a treasured reminder of a loyal friend when finished.
Linda Weil
http://home.exetel.com.au/lindaweil/

'DRAW!'Wyatt Earp

Postby kirants » Wed May 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Those eyes are soulful. This drawing is developing well with all the care you are showing. The fur is awesome. Hope the paper holds up, as I really like how the drawing is coming about so far.

Postby danluc » Thu May 26, 2016 1:58 am

Hello Krissy
I really like the nose, the eyes, and the hair.
I think you are really doing a wonderful job.
Never give up! Keep going!

Bye

Daniele
Daniele

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu May 26, 2016 2:49 am

Thank you all so much :) I've just seen Jimi today and he looks quite well! The vet says he had an abscess on his back and they were worried it was cancerous, which is why they were going to put him to sleep. Thankfully it went away with just some antibiotics and anti-histamines! Phew :)

Kirants, it is funny you should mention his eyes being soulful because someone else said the same thing last week!

I still have no idea what I'm doing but it seems to be coming along reasonably well. I spent two hours just on the little hairs beneath his nose the other day.... :o I am up to 17 hours so far but my guess is it will take around 40-45 hours in total to complete.
Attachments
jimimuzzle.jpg

Postby Laurene » Thu May 26, 2016 1:40 pm

"...I still have no idea what I'm doing..."

Well, I'd love to see what you can do when you do know what you're doing!! :lol:

Great work! Thanks for the close-up look.
Laurene

Postby KrissyNZ » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks Laurene, hopefully I can do some more hairless drawings soon (like elephants!) because then I do have a bit more of a clue about what I'm doing :D

Would love some advice on his ear curls. I'm not sure if I should leave them the way they are or try to darken them some more? I want them to match in of course though I worry I won't get the same sort of contrast and pop that they have currently if I darken them down more.
Attachments
jimi workinprogress 6th june.jpg

Postby Laurene » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Krissy. Well, I looked at your reference picture again and it seems that the ears and face are actually the same colour but of course the highlights on the curls are lighter. You could tone the whole ear I think, but I always suggest that you test something like this on a print out, or if you're comfortable with Photoshop (or Paintshop Pro or Gimp) you can experiment there. The point is that you have so much lovely detail in that ear that I would hesitate to experiment directly on the original at this point.
Laurene

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Given that you're drawing Jimi lighter than it appears to actually be, I think the ear is just fine as it is (as is drawing lighter because it forces us to focus on his dark eyes). The ear has excellent three-dimensionality - I can instantly understand the forms.

Personally, if you're darkening the base of the background, I'd tone the ear to look right at that point. In other words, do whatever you need to with the ear to make it stand out from the background, even if that means making it darker or lighter than the top half. Visual clarity is a better goal than logical progression down the ear. Whatever you draw, the viewer will find solutions to make it understandable - such as reflected light from outside the drawing, or it's in the shade of the muzzle.

If you need to experiment, take Laurene's advice and do it on a printout, or at least away from the drawing. For example, you could lay a strip of your drawing paper over the base of the ear and draw on that, which gives you instant, and more accurate, feedback on how it might look.

I think you're doing a sterling job with this!
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:07 am

Thank you both so much, truly! I'm going to stick with it as it is for now and perhaps tweak it at the end if needed. I think it will really come together and start to look right once I've finished his forehead and fluffy white chest. Thanks for the advice :)

Postby Matti Kataja » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Looks good so far! Just keep the blacks along so cant go too pale :)

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks Matti! Honestly, this paper is just no good for going dark! It has very little tooth and it starts to lift after 2 or 3 layers. Better suited for pen work I reckon so I won't be buying any more. I can get darker tones on $1 unbranded paper from the art store than this $5 per sheet stuff!! Disappointing :(

Postby KrissyNZ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:00 am

Sadly I accidentally shut one of my four-legged friends in my drawing room last night despite checking twice that no-one was hiding in there :( I'd left a little bit of powdered graphite out and he traipsed through that before sitting on Jimi and leaving his mark on the drawing. You could say it was a.... catastrophe :lol: :cry:

I've been able to erase a few of the smudges from his muzzle, neck and tongue but will have to cover up the other smudges to the left of the dog with a darker layer of graphite than I wanted because these smudges don't want to erase!!!

On the bright side, his muzzle is pretty much done and I was expecting to have this drawing all finished this weekend before little Sam came along!! Lucky he's cute :evil:
Attachments
sam-3620.jpg
jimi workinprogress 25th june.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE