November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

3 white dogs with color options

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

3 white dogs with color options

Postby lauriemcg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Hello. It has been quite some time since I last posted. I'm so glad to see the forum still here!

I have a new commission project, and feel a bit intimidated. It is a portrait of 3 white dogs, 2 boxer/dalmation crosses and a white shepherd/corgi cross. It is full body set on a patio background - 16 x 20. Stage set. I'm a graphite person, and took it on with full disclosure that was the case, tho they would have liked color. Now that I've gone through the process of developing the composition I'm at the point of finalizing the layout. And honestly, I think color would be a nice addition. So I've mocked up 3 options: 1) graphite only with just a hint of color on the dogs (to bring out the pink skin on the boxers and the ivory ears on the shepherd). 2) using graphitint to "tint" the background some - a muted color option, and 3) bolder color with graphite. I've sent the images to the clients and am waiting to get there feedback.

I'd very much like to share what I'm trying to accomplish here and get your feedback and help on this one. I'm willing to branch out media a bit (maybe color wash under graphite, or color pencil and graphite... pencil must be the hero tho.

So, I've attached the computer mock up, a pic of each of the dogs, and the 3 layout images for you. Please feel free to tell me your thoughts!

I also post updates to my http://laurie-mcginley.com/2015/10/29/three-in-one-beyaz-topal-and-hassas/, which may give some background on this project.

Laurie ;)
Attachments
Color-Idea-bold-web.jpg
bolder color idea
Color-Idea-mute-web.jpg
muted color idea
Color-Idea-min.jpg
mostly graphite
WP_20150113_001-(2).jpg
2 boxers
WP_20141223_003 (2).jpg
Shepherd cross

Re: 3 white dogs with color options

Postby Laurene » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Laurie. I remember you well from the old Artpapa site. It's great to see your work again!

3 white dogs would be quite a challenge when done in graphite, but it has the potential of working extremely well when the balance of darks and lights can be worked out. Of the 3 options my eye is pulled towards the first one (bolder color with graphite) but it's not just because of the color. I think it's because the background is dark enough to really make the 3 dogs stand out. I brought this option of bolder color into a graphics program and set it to greyscale and it looks great! The range of values from light to dark is fully utilized and the eye goes directly to the dogs.

Just my opinion, but I'd vote for the bolder color idea either as is, or converted to greyscale and done in mostly graphite.

Postby Rob Bristow » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Hello you

Good luck with that. Being a pencil person I can offer very little ! I am liking the composition

Rob

Postby Bev » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Laurie, welcome back! I like the first one and I agree with Laurene that it needs a dark background, although I would make the background out of focus so as not to distract the eye away from the dogs.
Bev

Postby lauriemcg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Well, it has been a year... literally! And I have finally finished this piece. Was on track to complete it last spring, but sometimes life has other ideas! Anyway, it is all good and I learned quite a bit about using color, watercolor and color pencil.

So the stats are:
16 x 20
Pencils: Faber-Castell Polychromos, Derwent Graphitint, and graphite
Paper: Fabriano Artistico Extra White Watercolor Paper

Please your feedback is always welcome as it helps me see with fresh and knowing eyes!

Here is the link to my blog page to get a look at how I worked through the process ... sort of...
https://laurie-mcginley.com/2015/10/29/ ... nd-hassas/

Thanks!

Postby Rob Bristow » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Cracking come back

Looks really good

Rob

Postby lauriemcg » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks Rob :)

Postby Laurene » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:39 am

I remember this well. There's so much I like about this it's hard to know where to start. It would have been so easy for white dogs to look washed out but this is so rich and warm. Your use of light means there's actually a lot of colour in all that white fur. I love the way you picked up the pink of the noses and ears in the flower pots in the background and the terracotta coloured tiles give a warm glow to the scene . It's brilliant Laurie!

Postby PogArt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:24 am

Hi there Laurie ;)
I'm same as a Rob, drawing mainly with graphite pencils, so I couldn't be of any help regards colours...
Anyway I've got some thoughts to add...
A week ago we've printed out larger portrait picture and framed it into 12" x 16" frame, to pleased our friends couple... All over that time of preparing this gift, we were sure the size is ok...
Well...
When we've met at that special day, they have hanged this portrait picture up on their wall...
12" x 16" effect has disappeared ;)
Immediately we've noticed the picture is too small and should be larger to fit well that wall...
My point is that, it might depends where the drawing gonna be placed, whether is bright large livingroom or small darker bedroom if that's making sense ;)
So if I follow my thoughts, your drawing would look greater in richer colours while placed in bright livingroom , but to hang it in bedroom, more graphite like would be more welcome?
I'm about to start my wife portrait, where she has a red rose... I'm tough thinking to draw the flower with rich colours ...
I love Bev's coloured drawings and because of Bev's arts I'm encouraging myself to introduce colour in my graphite drawings too...
Am I writing too much? I'm sorry ;)
I do appreciate your great effort to please customers with your drawing. I do love the way you've drawn it and I think the colours you've used is a great idea, it's just making whole drawing more adorable in my eyes.
Thank you for sharing your work on the forum Laurie ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby lauriemcg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks Laurene, I'm please to hear the white dogs done appear flat or color-less and that there is a sense of warmth. I was a bit concerned about the "black hole" effect (where a black object is rendered black and appears like a hole or just flat!) One of my early tests was troubling in that the pink points on them were almost distracting... so how to tone that down some (yet they really are very pink!). It seemed to help to bring up a bit more color on the dogs, particularly in shadow areas so the pink wasn't so glaring.

Pogart, thanks for your comments as well. Good points about how a piece actually is affected by how/where it is hung. True enough! In this case, I don't know where they plan to put it. They have quite a large place so hopefully where ever it goes it will work well for them.

Laurie ;)

Postby Bev » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Well done Laurene! This is terrific. I love the three dogs, they fit together in their spaces so nicely. I also like the red/green combo, lovely vibrant colours. I bet the owners are thrilled!
Bev

Postby lauriemcg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks Bev :) Yes they were happy with it. They were a good client group to work with. Willing to work with me on time (told them upfront I have a full time regular job and my technique is not fast). And they worked with me to build up the desired composition. I went in with straight graphite in mind, but thru their encouragement/desire I was able to move over into color. So all in all a good and challenging project. I was very please they were happy with the result.

Laurie ;)

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 pm

Awesome result Laurie! I love the richness and depth of the colours! You did a great job, I bet the client is very pleased!

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:40 am

An absolutely excellent result, Laurie! I intended to say so much more... but it's already been said :)

For a potentially difficult study I think you've pulled it off exceedingly well!
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby lauriemcg » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks Krissy and Mike :) Yes, they where quite pleased with it thankfully! For me it was a steep learning curve using color and tools I wasn't familiar with. But it was worth it. I learned a bunch and plan on using some of the techniques in future drawings.

Laurie ;)

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE