204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Japanese Akita - F I N I S H E D !!!

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Japanese Akita - F I N I S H E D !!!

Postby PogArt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi my friends.
I've mentioned already a couple of times that I'm willing to stop drawing portraits of my friends and start to draw something for my pleasure ;)
Here we are ! I'm pleased to introduce you my dog ;)
It's two years old Japanese Akita ;)
The last time I was drawing a fur was over a year ago during the sister's cat drawing.
The mentioned drawing was the first drawing that I've started after over 20 years of drawing absence...
I just didn't know how to manage to draw a fur so I did my best at that time, watching YouTube tutorials...
This new drawing of my dog is then a difficult challenge for me as I nearly haven't got any experience of drawing animals at all...
I'm trying to draw my dog's fur the way I'm thinking will work out at the end of the day...
Then the grass! SCARY !!! ;) The grass is everywhere ! ;)
Why I haven't chosen something much easier for the first attempt of drawing animal?
It's because I think that sometimes is better to put yourself on to deep water and learn while experimenting , than do something boring and easy to draw and learn little bit if anything... I'm might be wrong, though ;)
I wish I could draw as beautifully as some of you my friends , but there is a lot of practice before me to get there where you already are my friends ;)
I hope you don't mind me sharing very first basic strokes.
I just couldn't wait to pass my great news that I've started drawing what I love - an animals ;)
I wish you all the best and thank you for watching my first steps.
Attachments
21 VII.jpg
basics steps...
_DSC1458 copy.jpg-FB Ready.jpg
Reference photo
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Re: Japanese Akita

Postby Laurene » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

Hi Arthur,

Well, you're off to a great start! I remember your cat drawing well, and based on that I think you'll have no trouble at all drawing your Akita. Just take your time with it.
You say the subject is difficult, but I think that drawing your own pet is the best thing you can do because you know your subject so well. I think you'll find that you'll start out looking at your photo reference and copying what you see very carefully, as you do with your people portraits, but after awhile your instincts take over and you just "know" how something should look because you've actually been studying your subject for 2 years without realizing it. Does that make sense?

Looking forward to the next update!
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:03 pm

You're always so keen and very first to reply Laurene ;)
I'm always appreciated to hear from you and it's always making sense whatever your comment is ;)
I do understand what you've said about knowing my dog and I hope it helps and I'm very pleased to know that you remember my 'Cat' drawing ;)
It was like drawing the cat without knowing the proper techniques to do so, but hopefully my sister were appreciated haha hahaaa ;)
Now it's my well awaiting second go with drawing a pet and I wish it'll be looking better than the mentioned cat ha ha haaa ;) To be honest I were fighting myself whether to post those first strokes or wait untill I draw some more than that ... It's because I think that it's looking ugly at the moment and my wife were laughing when she's spot the weird looking Shiba's eyes hahahaaaa!!!
I am so sorry :) I just could wait any longer to share it ;)
I wish it could be the greatest drawing ever but because I've got nearly zero experience in this matter I can't predict the final look unfortunately...
At least I've got you Laurene who believe in me that I can.
I'll keep updating for sure ;)
Thank you very much.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I think that if you go slowly and really observe each feature individually (eye, nose, ears...) you'll be fine. If you have Mike's book, you can study his instructions on dog eyes. If you don't, you could take a close look at his website. You'll find lots of dog portraits there to inspire you.

You're very talented and you observe your subjects closely, so I'm sure this will turn out great. Akitas have that dense shorter hair that is pretty uniform - no curls or long twisting strands or even coarse clumps. It still needs close attention to direction of hair growth though.
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:56 pm

I've got Mike's book ;)
I've been well "trained" by him last year at live workshop in August and I just forgotten that I can count it as some experience regarding drawing dogs, isn't it?
It's even building more pressure up on me to don't fail ;)
I have said that I've got nearly zero experience , because I've forgotten Mike's workshop I did attend.., but this time I'm trying out the JD Hillberry method of drawing hair what is different to Mike's, and this is first time I'm trying to use it to draw the dog fur ...
I need to try few different methods out to find the one that suits me.
Mike's method is working perfectly regarding the dogs fur and I do like JD method of drawing human hair so now I'm about to try it to draw the dog...
If I fail , I'll know which technique suits me better.
Thanks again Laurene.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:25 am

Good evening my friends.
It's very short update...
I've moved down to mark the dog's nose and I'm working bit by bit on the head short fur...
At this early stage I can't tell if I like the fur look yet?
Thank you for watching.
Attachments
2016-07-24 00.02.01.jpg
Little progress ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Garry » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:26 am

Hi Arthur your statement below is very correct in my experience. By challenging yourself you can only improve.
Garry
"It's because I think that sometimes is better to put yourself on to deep water and learn while experimenting , than do something boring and easy to draw and learn little bit if anything... I'm might be wrong, though"
"Learn to draw, it will change your life."
https://www.facebook.com/garryrogersfinewoodandpencil

Postby Bev » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:05 pm

I think you are off to a very good start Arthur. Don't be intimidated by fur, it's not that complicated, keep practising and suddenly you will realise that you have 'got' it. Your Akita's fur looks spot on to me, lovely and thick and springy, just as it should be. Laurene has excellent advice and Gary too. Take it slowly and it will turn out well, I'm sure! You have the talent and just because you have'nt drawn for 20 years doesn't really matter, it is like riding a bike, once you can do it, it stays with you, you never forget how.
Bev

Postby PogArt » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Thank you dear Bev for your priceless comment ;)
It means a lot to me when you and other great artists encouraging me. It's making sense what you've said about bike riding ;) Thank you ;)
I've got two days off now so I'll finish the eyes for my wife... She keeps blaming me I left the eyes like this ;)
Thank you Bev.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby PogArt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Well..,
I didn't finish the eyes yet as I've promised my wife ;)
I've done some work today but it has took me longer than I thought.
The left side of the dog face (when you looking at the drawing) I'm planning to make lighter than the right side, to make it kind of interesting , portrait like appearance.
To do so I already have started shedding the right part of the dog mouth darker, to start making such difference in light and shadow between the two face sides.
I know my friends you have already approved that the fur is looking alright, but I'm keep worry if this is correct way of drawing fur.
Why I'm confused?
It's because before I've begin this drawing I were going to try the JD Hillberry method out of drawing hair (fur)...
When started, I realised I'm mixing both techniques? The JD one and the Mike's Sibley ...
I were switching from one method to the other automaticly and then suddenly I've noticed what I do?
Honesty the drawing process is something I can't follow easly ;)
I've got some moments while drawing, that I'm miles away, busy with what I do, and my hand is living it's life without my brain being on charge?
In such very short moments I've got no control over my strokes, the hand is in charge and my mind is switched off ...
Am I making any sense ? ;)
Then I've noticed I'm mixing both methods and I'm not so sure if this is any good ;)
Thank you for reading my way too long posts (hope not too boring?) ;)
Attachments
27 VII.jpg
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Wow, this is looking terrific! Your knowledge of your subject shines through. I could dig my fingers into his fur. I personally think that dog noses are more difficult than fur and you nailed the textures and shadows on the nose perfectly!

I find that when I get lost in a drawing the way you described, is when the drawing is going really well. It's a sign that I'm "feeling" whatever I'm drawing and I love when that happens. As for mixing techniques, that's fine. I means that you're developing your own technique and finding what works for you, so no problem at all.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 am

Honesty I didn't expect any 'wows' dear Laurene ;)
It means a lot to me to receive such positive comments from artists... Thank you ;)
You know..,when you've mentioned that you feel you could dig a fingers into fur... I can too!?
It's surprising me...
It's something I remember Mike Sibley said at his live workshop a year ago...
He's said something like - it's best when you can imagine that you can feel touching of your drawn subject...
I'm very happy you think I'm close enough to pass this feeling to the viewer?
Regarding the mindless drawing moments it's reminding me kind of feeling when I'm jogging for longer than an hour sometimes... When I almost can not run any longer, so tired, breathless, swet... , suddenly... , sometimes it's all passing away while you carry on in this unpleased condition... Then all your tireness stops, your legs carry you on effortless, on your face is rising a smile, you breathing easy too... I love it when it's happens to me ;)
It's not the same , but this is similar experience that I can compare to those short effortless drawing moments Laurene ;)
Thank you for you keen comment and following this drawing ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby danluc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 pm

From my personal point of view you are doing a good job Artur
Keep on drawing and you'll realize how the portrait of an animal can give you a lot of satisfaction.

Bye
Daniele
Daniele

Postby PogArt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you Daniele for your positive comment.
I haven't been drawing any animal since the Cat portrait so it's over one year now... I were getting more convienient with drawing people as I drawn few one by one...
I'm feeling now very unsure with this Akita drawing.
I think I shouldn't let myself to have such long lasting gap regarding drawing pets. I hope I will feel more comfortable drawing animals as well. All I can is to practice.
Thank you again for checking my drawing out Daniele.
Attachments
2016-07-31 20.27.38.jpg
Little update ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:45 pm

Looking great Arthur. The work on the fur is spot on.

I apologize if you haven't quite finished the eyes yet, but I'm wondering if they're really that much lighter than the pupils in reality. Also, the inside corners seem a little too light to my eyes. Again, if you're still working on them, just ignore me ;)
Laurene

Next

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE