November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Japanese Akita - F I N I S H E D !!!

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Japanese Akita

Postby PogArt » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:28 am

Hahahaaa dear Laurene ;)
Don't feel too sorry because this is the forum for ;)
To place some comments and advices ;)
Obviously YES you're right regarding the eyes ;)
And obviously you're right too again - they're not done yet ;)
All I did till now is to 'mark' them for my wife and for myself as well ;)
This is only first shadding and preparing how to place them, the way the dog is looking at some point.., you know ;) Once I marked the eyes I could carry on all the necessary work to draw the area around the eyes , the eyebrow and surroundings just to carry on with dog fur ;)
Thank you anyway for being positive regarding the way I'm drawing fur... Unfortunately I'm having doubts if I'm doing well... It's very confusing because one day I like it and another day I hate it hahahahaaa ;)
I wish Mike Sibley would be proud of me as I joined his live workshop how to draw dogs fur... So from that point of view I think I'm fail, cause I think my fur isn't good enough ;) But then I know he's the master ;) and this is only my second try with fur ;) So Laurene , from this point of view I'm happy with the fur ;)
Also it's way too early to judge whether my clue to draw her right side a lot darker than the left side is good or silly... At the moment it's just basics and when I'm looking at her so dark right side of the mouth it's not making too much sense in my mind (I'm happy you've skipped this part and haven't commented it) so I carry on drawing to see whether I gonna fail this drawing or not ;)
Obviously I know that every fail will teach me a lesson too ;) Thank you Laurene for being with me and following my steps regarding updates of my Shiba drawing ...
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby Laurene » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 am

I thought so! I thought that you probably weren't done with the eyes yet :)
The fur looks good to me. Just keep going the way you are and don't be tempted to rush it and it will be fine!
Laurene

Starving Artists' gallery: http://www.starving-artists.net/

Postby PogArt » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:47 am

A BIG THANK YOU Laurene for encouraging me with my effort to draw it as nice as I can at this stage of my knowledge and skills ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:53 am

Any update on this Arthur?
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:19 am

Laurene wrote:Any update on this Arthur?

Thank you Laurene, it means a lot to me that you do care ;)
I'm not posting any updates because I'm full of doubts regarding the grass. It's more complicated than I thought and I'm having concerns about how my grass is looking...
I'm planning to post progress update when at least I finish the left side of drawing, where the grass is. I've got some delays in drawing too due to working overtime extra hours.
This causing me not posting updates yet, as I don't want to show the grass too early and unfinished...
It seems like my brain isn't just working properly ;) with such complicated subjects. I were having massive problems to understand how to draw the fur and hair and till today I'm always scared off whenever I start new drawing ;) Now I found myself having such same feelings regarding grass thing ;) It is big challenge to me you see ;)
One thing is to draw grass properly, the next thing is to draw it the way that you wish to show your art...
I promise I won't give up and I'll post updates even I fail.
I just need more time than I thought, I'm sorry ...
Thank you Laurene ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 pm

I've had the same trouble myself! Grass and water are both so difficult! I can manage water if it isn't too turbulent but I usually try to avoid grass for the same reason. It's funny, but I often find that I expect the background to be easier and to go faster than the main subject, but it's almost never the case. Backgrounds can add a lot of time to a drawing!! It's just a question of taking as much time as we need and not rushing things too much :)
Laurene

Postby PogArt » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Thankfully it seems I'm not alone ;)
Thank you Laurene that you share your thought over here ;)
You know, I wouldn't start with the grass and maybe background at all to get focused to master the dog only...
But ;)
But I like the idea of drawing full picture, with surroundings and background features too, not only the 'empty' portrait, so this is my try, and I don't like it because, as you've mentioned, I'm having troubles drawing the silly grass what isn't my main subject ;) Without the grass this drawing would be already done ;)
I'm hoping that even I don't like it at the moment, it will pay off sometime in the future ;)
The more experience the better skills ;)
That's funny , isn't it ?
We spending more time and our patience to deal with the surroundings than with the main subject sometime ;)
The idea of drawing my dog with all the grass came from watching Mike Sibley arts ... You can see there dogs on full picture, there are the houses, trees, there is everything, not only the dogs as an subjects...
I like it very much , but now I can appreciate how much patience and time it does consuming to finish one drawing ;) Thanks to mentioned great effort to get it done, it's so enjoyable to watch the finished drowing later on, isn't it ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Rob Bristow » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Artur

The nose is hyper realistic and the fur is coming along very nicely, hoping to see everything fall into place soon

Rob

Postby PogArt » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Hiya Rob ;)
Thank you for taking a part of supporting me with positive comments ;)
I like the nose too :)
Unfortunately I've stopped working on the dog getting too busy to manage the grass!?
And I didn't ;/
The grass is a killer to me.
I think that I've ruined all my effort to draw nicely my dog because of the grass,that I decided to draw around the dog, as it is on the reference picture...
I am able to draw something I'm stare at, but I'm not too creative?
To draw the grass I need to use the creative parts of my brain, that aren't working well ;)
I'm not giving up,though ;) I just keep working trying my best to fight my weakness...
The whole idea is to draw the grass near by dog in focus as the dog is, but then I like the grass to fade away,a bit out of focus ,to dim it the more the farther the grass is going away...
Is it making any sense?, the way I'm trying to describe it with my poor english? ;)
The bottom of the drawing I like to draw blurred and out of focus... Kind of camera lens effect...
This drawing became my toughest challenge, because I'm not too much creative, but whole the grass thing needs me to be creative enough.
Since I've started working on the grass I didn't touch the dog at all, so please skip the dog while watching this update as there isn't done anything more I guess since my latest update.
I weren't going to post any update as I said to Laurene last time,but because of our friend Laurene I realised something...
Some of you actually were waiting too long to check it out how I'm doing?
I'm doing this for all of you,who are keen to support me whether I succeed or fail...
It's not easy though,to share something you aren't happy with...
Criticism isn't necessary in this case because I know how the grass is looking ;)
I'm appreciate your support and believing in me.
Attachments
14303705_1087451164637834_235341794_o.jpg
The grass is my nightmare ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:41 am

I know exactly how you feel Arthur because I've had the same experience. I think that you're not seeing the potential in the work you've done, but I can see it, I would approach this the same way you are, by drawing those larger blades of grass nearest the viewer in more detail and placing the grass that's behind the dog more out of focus.

I took a workshop with Mike several years ago where the challenge was that he supplied a photo of his horse drinking from a stream but the photo was old and the background was fuzzy so we had to create the detail that we couldn't see in the photo. It wasn't easy!! But as I started drawing and looking at other references to fill in what I couldn't see, I found it very freeing because I wasn't a slave to the photo reference anymore and that was a great lesson that I've never forgotten.

I think that if you continue by concentrating on those larger blades of grass in the foreground which you can see well in your photo, you can draw the grass behind the dog more like hair where you can't actually see individual hair. In the midground we see clumps (especially on the right side) rather than individual blades of grass, and in the far background we can't really see any detail at all. Hope that helps a little. Keep going! It will work itself out!
Laurene

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:22 pm

GRASS:
Looking at your reference, can you see that the foreground highlighted blades are dominant? It's those we see first and they tell us how to interpret everything further back. Can you understand the midground and background grass? No - but that's perfectly natural. In fact we don't need to understand it in detail because the foreground grass tells us what it is.

Your grass is looking good but perhaps a little overworked towards the background. I appreciate that all the grass is fairly close to us but you could have used interpretation more in the distance.

Also notice, especially on the right-hand side, how dark bands of shade immediately tell us the grass is layered, and the existence of those layers immediately creates recession. Treat grass like hair - use the foreground to tell us what everything behind it is, and then interpret (suggest) the grass behind.

I wish Mike Sibley would be proud of me as I joined his live workshop how to draw dogs fur... So from that point of view I think I'm fail, cause I think my fur isn't good enough

If it helps... I think it's superb! :) I can push my fingers into it and feel the texture.

The whole idea is to draw the grass near by dog in focus as the dog is, but then I like the grass to fade away,a bit out of focus ,to dim it the more the farther the grass is going away... The bottom of the drawing I like to draw blurred and out of focus... Kind of camera lens effect...

I can't help with the last statement because I've never tried that. In the grass you have drawn, you've created recession but only partially. The left-hand side recedes, although I can see leaves in there that perhaps I shouldn't do at that distance. However, the right-hand side, along the dog's margin has no recession at all. What I'd try to do is lighten the right-hand side towards the top, so the grass is in front of the dog at the bottom, but the dog is definitely in front of the grass at the top. And so the grass at the top matches the recession of the left-hand side. That should create a lot more depth and ensure the the dog is dominant.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby PogArt » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Thank you very much Laurene and Mike for your time to put some comments for me. I'm appreciated that ;)
Laurene it's good suggestion though ;) to see Mike one day on his workshop ;) and learn some creativity as you did Laurene ;)
Mike thank you for your advice.
I'll try to think harder of what you have adviced, and hopefully I'll create something better than it is now ;)
I'm glad no one of you said that the whole drawing is ruined because of the grass ;)
You know some? My wife said she likes the grass!?
I know I'm struggling to draw it as good as I wish to, but I'm aware now that I might be oversensitive ;) and I should just shut up ;) and carry on ;)
Whatever happens there is my lovely dog, and I'm going to love this drawing anyway ;)
Thank you my friends.
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:20 pm

The biggest problem,. as I see it, is that you've drawn dark grass right up the side of the dog - but at the left it recedes. Lighten the right side to match and I think your dog will pop forwards and the grass will lose its dominance.

Here's a tutorial that might help:
www.sibleyfineart.com/tutorial--draw-grass.htm
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby PogArt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:37 pm

I see it, thanks Mike for your keen advice.
Thanks to your keen advises I think I'm getting more clues how to make all this drawing look better...
I've started afternoon shifts this week, so it's not helping me with free time for drawing...
I'll try to post updates more often now, since I know it's not dramatic as I thought it is.
Thank you. ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Rob Bristow » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi Arthur

I am no expert with grass but on the one and only image where I had no choice but to add it
I tried pushing mine away from the forefront and tried to suggest little clumps. I know our reference
images are a million mile apart but I do know how easily you can be dragged into wanting every single blade
because that is what feels right, almost being too true to the original image.

Anyway uncle Mike is here now be guided by the master

Rob
Attachments
Website-Red-Deer-reduced.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE