November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Jake the much loved daschund - Finished

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Jake the much loved daschund - Finished

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 pm

I have been commissioned by an online friend to draw his wife's beloved dog Jake. Jake is a 17 year old daschund and they worry that he may not be with them for very much longer so this drawing will be a gift to his wife for Christmas!

I've combined 2 photos in Photoshop to create the final image that I'll be working from. The plan is to draw this in vertical orientation and fade out the tiling on the ground instead of drawing absolutely everything! There are some lighting differences that I will resolve within the drawing as I go :)

Jake finalsm.jpg

And here are the initial guide lines laid down. I hope you can see them, I don't have a scanner so I've tried to increase the contrast as best I can in Photoshop!

1 (1).jpg

Re: Jake the much loved daschund - work in progress!

Postby KrissyNZ » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:40 am

2.jpg

I've started blocking in the various tones on his body and have done most of his ear. I have a tendency to draw very lightly so I will keep pushing contrast and layering the dark areas. Not 100% satisfied with his right eye so I will leave it for a few days and come back to it with a fresh look. He is a very old dog and has cataracts in his eyes so they are a bit different to draw than I am used to.

Postby Laurene » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

He looks great so far, Krissy! His eyes are very expressive in the photo and you're capturing that expression already.

How large is your drawing? You seem to be progressing very quickly.
Laurene

Starving Artists' gallery: http://www.starving-artists.net/

Postby KrissyNZ » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:00 am

Laurene wrote:He looks great so far, Krissy! His eyes are very expressive in the photo and you're capturing that expression already.

How large is your drawing? You seem to be progressing very quickly.

Thank you Laurene! It is an A3 size drawing. Because it is a commission I will work extra hard to get it done quickly :)

Postby danluc » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi Krissy
I like Jake!
He is really nice in the photo.
I think that you are doing very well so far.
I understand that you draw the entire subject gradually layer after layer until you reach the desired tone and contrast and then you add the details.
Am I right?
I use to concentrate in a small area until it is totally complete and detailed and only after that I move drawing to another area.
I'm asking you in order to understand the techniques used by other artists so I can improve my skills and experiment new ways of drawing.
Thanks
Bye
Daniele
Daniele

Postby KrissyNZ » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi Daniele,

Yes, that is the technique I am using for this drawing. I am layering the tones in and then finally I will add the details on top. I used to just do each section until it was perfect and then move on but lately I have found it helpful to build the 3D form on the page and then apply texture afterwards. I find I get a bit bored if I spend too long on one section at one time now! I have a short attention span :D

Postby danluc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks for your reply Krissy.
I understand because I have the same feeling when I draw something that is really detailed.
I look forward to see your updates!
Bye
Daniele
Daniele

Postby PogArt » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 pm

I do like Krissy your work by far ;)
I love dogs too ...
Honesty regarding the drawings I can not keep working on just small square area until it's done ? ;)
I hope It's not going to be my biggest problem ever?
I just can't do it , or maybe - I need to learn to do it Daniele to be as good as you one day ;)
I feel like my soul is flying freely?
I'm just going there and coming back, spending more time onto one particular area to start moving there and back again like cricket in the grass ;)
Sometimes It's like chaos because working on one place is just too boring in my case?
Sometimes I'm not drawing at all for a week or so...
I'm keep thinking , planning at that time, what to do, what's next, how to deal with something...
Everyone is different , isn't it?
Can't wait to see more progress Krissy ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:28 am

I do the same thing Artur! I start a little patch and then move on to something else until I can understand how to resolve that patch better. Then I go back to it again and finish it off. I think if I did one patch to perfection before moving on, I might never complete a drawing! I envy those who can though as my drawing style can feel a bit out of control sometimes!

I have done some more tonight and tomorrow will start to fill in his other eye and start his nose/muzzle. He is so much fun to draw at the moment, everything feels right and is working out how I want it to.

3 small.jpg

Postby PogArt » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Yes, I understand your thoughts very well ;)
I'm just feel forced to shade larger patch slightly just to better understand the whole piece... Then I'm slowli adjusting some parts of that area and this way I'm building up the whole image I'm working on ;)
For example my present drawing ...
I've started with the nose ;) Did a bit around the eyes living the eyes itself like empty blank holes ;)
I were carry on working on the ear, then I moved to the muzzle , then I've done some work on the mentioned blank holes as my wife were complaining that the dog has not eyes ;)
Now I moved on to the left side of the paper and I'm busy now with drawing the grass on the left side ;)
I did a bit of sky too ;)
This is me.
Total chaos ;)
If I stuck to the one square till it's done ...
Well..,as you've said, I wouldn't probabli be able to connect one square to the other ever hahahaaaa?
For me the whole drawing process is more like uneven, unknown, creative and free proccess rather than technical step by step puzzle like way of drawing?
It is very personal too ;) and I can understand that the other artists are drawing opposite way , and they wouldn't even try to do it my way... I'm still learning and I don't know if I should keep drawing like in chaos, but it's me and this is the way of drawing I like and I feel comfortable and I do enjoy it, what is most important part of this subject ;)
Just to enjoy what you do , isn't it ?
Watching your progress Krissy I can not stop myself thinking that your drawing is looking like the real refference photo?!
You are going to be another artist like Daniele, who I'm going to be jealous of ;)
I think I'll never be as good as you my friends are, but at least I'm happy to be a member of this forum and to draw at all, anything, as good as I'm capable of ;)
It's very nice drawing Krissy ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 am

You are very kind Artur!! It is a great compliment for you to say that it looks like the reference photo :) I want to draw as true to reality as I can. I am not very creative (yet) so perfecting my technical skill is important to me!

4 small.jpg

Here is some more progress. I am not 100% happy with his left eye yet so I won't match the contrast until I have it how I want it to look. He's not quite looking straight at the viewer in that eye so I will mirror the drawing and see where I've gone wrong. Started a little bit of detail on his face but still very early stages. 5hrs in now.

Postby PogArt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 am

It's not a compliment Krissy but true and honest comment ;) I don't like posting any compliments because they aren't honest and I would post some criticism rather than false compliment ;) On criticism you can learn, you can avoid to make the same mistake in future ;) , with compliment you'll carry on drawing wrong rather than any better ;)
Keep drawing it's looking very nice Krissy ;)
All the best!
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Great update Krissy! You've captured that worried little brow we see in the reference. Makes me want to pick him up and give him a little hug!
Laurene

Starving Artists' gallery: http://www.starving-artists.net/

Postby KrissyNZ » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:36 am

8 hours in now. I am so pleased with how he is coming along! It's really challenging working from two different photos with two different light sources but I think I'm doing ok so far.

5 small.jpg

Postby PogArt » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:40 am

To me it's hyper realistic drawing Krissy.
I like it very much and I feel sorry for myself I'm unable to reach such skills ;)
It's pleasure to follow these updates ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Next

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE