204 pages
250 Illustrations
Step-by-step
Resource + Activity
Only $9.99 USD
From Drawspace Publishing
Buy Now

Cheetah

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Cheetah

Postby PogArt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm glad that you've managed to scan it, as you were willing to. I love every detail of this cat ;)
Great job !
Congratulation ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby Laurene » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:44 am

This is what excellent graphite work looks like! You have serious skills Daniele and I think they will take you far!
Laurene

Postby danluc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you Jason, Artur, and Laurene.
Your words and comments are always welcome.
Bye
Daniele

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 pm

danluc wrote:My real problem is to decide what to do with the artwork after scanning... :?:
I mean, I just draw for hobby and because I like it.
Every time I finish a work my wife asks me: "and now? What are you going to do with this drawing? Are you going to sell it or expose it? Or simply, are you going to store it with all your previous works?"
:D
Well, may be this time I'll take this hobby more seriously...
I don't have any experience with art selling or expos but there comes a time when you got to learn...!

How did I miss this? It's SUPERB! And, in my opinion, it is definitely a saleable quality. Take your drawing to a gallery - any gallery but preferably one that deals in wildlife (in this case) - not to sell it but simply to ask advice and for a valuation. They are the ones who will be able to advise you on its potential as a print. They know the market and where the buyers are.

After that, and if all goes well, look for ways YOU can promote it as a print. On your own and other websites maybe. Post it on social media - Facebook, Pinterest, etc. Don't be despondent if you don't sell - often you need a range of prints before you start to attract buyers.

But this good enough to sell - in many ways.

At some point you might find yourself having to actually have prints made. My advice - given that your work is as yet commercially untested - is to buy a good A3 or A2 giclée printer and produce them yourself on quality card. The initial expense can be high but you'll have no dead stock or dead money if that print doesn't work out - and it produces the highest return if they do sell. Or use a local giclée printer - one where you can personally oversee the printing.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby danluc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Wow!
I'm really honoured to receive such a comment and a series of advices from you Mike.
I really appreciate your words and I find them very useful.
I wrote my wife's words because she thinks: why drawing if I don't promote my art?
Well, actually I draw because I really like the moments spent while drawing.
I like to see my subject coming to life step by step.
When I draw I really feel as I am giving life to something.
That's why I never saw my hobby as a potential job, because I never thought about what would be next.
My fear is that if I won't succeed in promoting or selling my art I will change my feeling toward it.
However, as I said, there comes a time when you have to throw yourself into something completely new.
Therefore, I'll follow your suggestion to search for a gallery and then, based on the response, I'll decide what's next.
Thanks again for your advices Mike.
I really appreciated.

Ciao
Daniele

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm

It's not just the subject I think is commercially viable, it's the whole package. It's the balanced composition... and that little spur of rock that stops my eye and sends it circling back up to the cheetah. It's the low eye-level that makes the cheetah dominant, but in a way that isn't entirely threatening. I feel it will just study me, decide I'm a human idiot for being there, not worth the effort of making a meal of, and it will quietly slink away down the back side of the rock.

The two textures of the hard rock and comparatively soft hair work against each other splendidly - each emphasising the qualities of the other. Your use of light and shade provides solidity and a true sense of three-dimensional form. And I can see you were "living" the drawing as you worked - the way leg pushes up the fleshy edge of the rib cage, for example, is something many artists simply wouldn't notice or think necessary.

I understand the reluctance to make a business out of your art, but you can control it. I think it's not often realised that turning a hobby into a business can result in 90% of your time spent running the business and maybe 10% being free for drawing. But you can set the rules to suit yourself - either sell through a website or maybe one or two galleries. A slow flow of quality pieces might suit either quite well. Quality plus rarity can score over bulk releases of poor quality work.

I think doing nothing else but talking to a gallery is the ideal first step. Try to choose one that you think will understand your work - some will think the absence of colour makes it unsaleable. It isn't, they just mean they can't sell it because they don't understand its appeal. So don't take any negative comments to heart.

Whatever the outcome and whatever the advice - draw for YOU. Don't be persuaded to draw for the available market. Draw for you and enjoy it. It's what keeps you unique and your collectors will appreciate it.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby danluc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for your comment Mike.
I live in Rome, where you can breath art everywhere.
However, because art is not my job, I never considered the problem of finding a gallery that could sell graphite drawings.
So, I think that I'll spent the time before Xmas on my bike, going around Rome in order to find the right gallery for my needs.
Thanks Mike, you convinced me.

Ciao
Daniele

Postby onlineart » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am

That really is VERY good indeed - love it

Postby danluc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks a lot.
I really appreciate your comment.

ciao
Daniele