November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Barred Owl

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Barred Owl

Postby PogArt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:13 pm

This explains exactly what I were after ;)
So we just 'blending' the softer grades like we would do with tortillions, but instead of damaging the surface's tooth of the paper, we doing this smooth and gently with harder pencils... So the softer bits of graphite aren't as visible and we're still able to rework the same area if needed ;)
That's explains a lot , thank you !
I were craving to know it ;)
What would be layering without understanding why we layering ;)
I just need to know what I'm doing and why ;)
So it's pointless to start base layer with harder pencil to achieve very dark marks...
The clay will fill up the paper's tooth and the softer grade won't hold on that surface as suppose to...
I guess it will be just ok if we aren't going to achieve very black tone but dark shade only...
I hope I'll find the answer on Mike's article too ;)
Thank you again for your quick response and for your time spent to write this detailed answer Laurene.
I'm going now to read Mike's article, that you kindly provided.
It's obvious to me,because I'm learning on my own, I'm missing basics of drawing...
At least I can always count on you Laurene and the other great artists on this forum...
Thank you ;)

PS.; I've just read mentioned article. It explains a lot and it's great knowledge too. Thank you Laurene ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk
http://www.pogart.com

Postby kirants » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Am not surprised you are drawing an(other) owl, Laurene :) This is off to a great start. Like others have said, your choice of the pose is what will make this drawing special.

Postby Laurene » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:29 am

I think it's a great idea to try different methods Daniele. We each have to find what works for us. Mike has often said that some people work very well from light to dark, but he prefers to work from dark to light to achieve his results. I tend to have a light hand, so layering works well for me, but pressing much harder would work well for someone else.

You're welcome Arthur. This is Mike's way and it has worked very well for me, but as Daniele pointed out there are other methods too. For example. I've been combining graphite powder and pencil for the last few drawings and I very much like the effect for water or sky or just to create a foggy or misty feeling. I'll also use a tortillion now for many landscape elements like trees and rocks, but when it comes to fur and feather I tend to stick to pencils.

Hi Kiran! I'm glad to see you here on the forum! I collect my own reference material and it isn't easy if one wants to draw wildlife!! There is a rehabilitation centre for birds not to far from my home, and an educational wildlife centre where the animals can't be released to the wild either because of injury or because they were raised by humans for all kinds of reasons. Many of the birds there will have only one eye, or a broken wing that didn't set properly or sometimes they only have one wing but when I draw them I make sure they're whole again ;) The raptors like so many predators embody beauty and danger.

Postby Laurene » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:49 am

Speaking of different tools, nowadays we have digital tools to manipulate our art too. I don't draw much at night, so during the week I experiment with my WIP's while I wait for the weekend to roll around :D
Attachments
barred owl 03.jpg

Postby Laurene » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Here's today's update. Still a long way to go though to get the feathers looking like I'd like.
Attachments
barred owl 04.jpg

Postby PogArt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you for sharing the progress Laurene.
The owl is starting to get it's shapes and look.
The drawing with pencils is amazing...
We're starting with blank paper sheet, sketching some on it, and then step by step we're creating dimensions, space, ... life I shall say ;)
I've drawn a cat, dog, spider and some friends portraits...
I'm willing to try to draw a bird too ;)
I hope I can manage to draw it nicely, bearing in mind dealing with feathers ;)
Your drawings are very well done, and this one won't be any exeption at all ;)
Thank you ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Laurene » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 am

Thanks Arthur. You're a much more diverse artist than I am so I know that you'd enjoy drawing birds too. I agree with you that it's a great feeling when the subject that we're drawing starts to come to life. That's what keeps me drawing!

Postby Laurene » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:44 am

Hi. It's been awhile, but here's an update. The texture on the bark still needs a lot of work but the basic shapes are done now.

Any comments, critiques or questions are always welcomed.
Attachments
barred owl 05.jpg

Postby PogArt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:16 pm

With every update I love it more ;)
Now the owl's pose is making more sense and looks very interesting ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby kirants » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 am

Developing well, Laurene. This is not only a demonstration of your artistry, but the infinite level of your patience working your way through the feathers :) Keep going..

Postby Laurene » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Arthur. I'm hoping that the pose will make even more sense when I complete some of the background. I actually spent a long time trying different compositions in order to be able to use the pose, so I hope that my final choice will work out! I've often thought it would be interesting to discuss different ways to use an interesting pose. Maybe in a future thread?

Thanks Kiran. I actually enjoy working out feather patterns like this although I don't try to replicate every single detail. That would be nightmare I think! I just try to be sure that there are no major errors in the patterns found in a particular species. That part is fun. The composition is much more difficult for me!

Postby Laurene » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Here's this weekend's work. Hard to tell here, but I spent much more time on the bark to try to shape it. The leaves are just blocked in for now. They need to be refined so that the veins are not so white and static. I tried to convey a sense of movement using the leaves, and there will be more leaves to come but I won't be drawing a full background.
Attachments
barred owl 07.jpg

Postby PogArt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Laurene ;)
Believe me, I'm having harsh time regarding leaves as well ;) Actually I were struggling to figure out how to breath the life into them ;) I didn't manage it, but at least I've learnt some while I were working on them ;)
I just have started understanding a bit more how to make lights and shadows onto them ;)
At the first tries I were just colouring the leaves, not knowing how to make highlights ?
I'm keep talking about pastels... ;)
Every time when I'm watching artists like you for example, everything you do it's seems so obvious and natural ;)
This is why I like to follow you ;)
You are doing amazing job ;)
Congratulation ;)
PogArt
Artur Adamczyk

Postby Garry » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Looking good Laurene, in my world leaves, bark and feathers occupy most of my time!
Garry
"Learn to draw, it will change your life."
https://www.facebook.com/garryrogersfinewoodandpencil

Postby Laurene » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks Arthur and Garry. I agree with both of you. I'm always a little surprised that the background can take as much work as the main subject, yet it seems that's always the case.

Here's another update. Slow going, but getting close to finishing now. The veins in the leaves are not as stark white as they appear here. The scan is not picking up the lighter shades of grey.

As always, comments and critiques are welcomed.
Attachments
barred owl 08.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE