available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Rhinoceros

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Rhinoceros

Postby KrissyNZ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:54 am

Finally committed to a drawing I've wanted to do for the last 6 months. This is going to be my biggest detailed drawing to date at A2 size (16.5 x 23.4 in). The photo I'm working from is amazing... Purchased the licence for it just yesterday and here I am nearly 3hrs in already. This will be a long term project and the intention is to sell this piece when finished.

Rhino1sm.jpg

Re: Rhinoceros

Postby lmweil » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:13 am

Should be good Krissy - big impact in this image. What did you do the background black with?
Linda Weil
http://home.exetel.com.au/lindaweil/

'DRAW!'Wyatt Earp

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am

Thanks Linda, I used graphite powder for the background. Needs another few layers to make it smooth yet though.

Made some more progress over the weekend with texturing.

17191865_10155077075890349_3257690368042243777_o.jpg

Postby Garry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 am

Great textures around the eye Krissy.
Garry
"Learn to draw, it will change your life."
https://www.facebook.com/garryrogersfinewoodandpencil

Postby Rob Bristow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 pm

You are very good

Postby kennyc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 am

Nice, thanks for explaining about the background - graphite powder, I was about to ask. :D

P.S. one of the first images I drew when I was just beginning this journey was a Rino. It was not that great, but I was quite proud of it. :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks Rob!

Kenny, I reckon they're a great animal to start with! No hair :lol: So much easier haha

I made a little bit of progress on this drawing but I have not really been in the mood for drawing so much lately! Taking some time off to work on improving my general drawing skills, like figure drawing, understanding light and colour without using photo reference etc so this project has been on the backburner a bit!

I did find a better method for applying the graphite powder to the page which has resulted in a very smooth flat tone. I saw someone else had used a makeup sponge, so I purchased a pack from the dollar store and tried them out, with excellent success! I highly recommend using them for applying the graphite. Brushes and tissues are all well and good but they take forever to give you a smooth block of graphite! To get the edges looking good, dipping a paper blending stump into the graphite and then using it like a pencil on the edges works well. I found that if I drew the edges with a regular pencil, the graphite was a different hue and didn't blend smoothly with the powder. Just use a small eraser like a Tombow Mono to tidy up any edges afterwards as needed!

rhino-6874small.jpg

Postby kennyc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 am

Looking good! Yes Less Hair is good! :lol:

Thanks for the graphite powder tool-tip!
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Laurene » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I tried make-up sponges for graphite powder on Mellotex and it didn't work out as well for me as tissue or soft cotton (like an old t-shirt). Your background looks flawless! What paper are you using Krissy?

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Laurene wrote: What paper are you using Krissy?

As Laurene asked... interested parties want to know, please? :)

The effect you achieved it the best I've ever seen for powdered graphite.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok I've checked into it because I thought it was just super generic non-branded paper from the art shop but it looks like it is actually Hahnemuhle Archival Bristol Board (310gsm). Bear in mind that there's a bit of editing going on with contrast and blacks in that last picture and also that I'm not finished applying the graphite powder yet! There's a bit of shine in this picture but this is much closer to how it looks in person.

rhino2-6874.jpg

Postby Laurene » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks Krissy. Being Bristol board I imagine it's similar to Conqueror or Mellotex in the sense that there must be very little texture. I'll have to try again with some different make-up sponges, Your background is a the kind of rich deep dark that I'd love to achieve!

Postby kennyc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I've never been able to do/get anything near that dark on Bristol smooth with graphite....don't know that I've ever tried with charcoal or carbon...
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Bev » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am

Looking good Krissy, Love the skin textures around the eye.

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks Bev! Hoping to work it on it some more this week. I'm on medically induced "rest" at the moment which means no work and loads of time to draw! Excited about making progress on this piece again :)

Kenny, I'm surprised at how dark it went too. Bear in mind I have spent a while pushing the powder into the paper to really build up that dark effect. I just checked the container and it doesn't say what "strength" the powder is but I would equate it to something like a 4B to 6B depending on how much you build it up. The good thing about it is that you get that darkness without the shine that using a pencil with a lot of pressure would give you! The brand is Cretacolor if you want to try some!

Laurene, yep it's very very smooth. I don't particularly like textured paper, I want to have full control over how my textures look, so smooth bristol is my favourite. The Sofft tools that you can buy for the pan pastels are also very good for applying the graphite too!

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE