available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Otis - Poodle x Jack Russell

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Re: Otis - Poodle x Jack Russell

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 am

Looking great....I could never do that well in that timeframe!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks Kenny! I seem to be flying through it today! Almost 2hrs on it today so I'm definitely on track to have him done by the end of this coming weekend. Client is loving the updates :)

otis-6552sm.jpg

Postby Bev » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

Great stuff Krissy, I think you have done a fantastic job on the fur textures around the muzzle and the fact that the viewers eye is focused directly on his face. I also like the fade out at the bottom, nothing worse than a hard edge, I think it always looks as if the animal has had it's head chopped off.

Postby Laurene » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm

I agree with everything that's been said. I think this is your best work Krissy.....so far that is! :)

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:46 pm

KrissyNZ wrote:Any suggestions on how I can go about tackling his chest fur would be much appreciated! I am contemplating laying down more of a dark base and then picking out individual clumps of hair with my blu-tack or Tombow Mono eraser and then going back in with the pencils to define and detail them. Does that sound reasonable?

Well, that approach should result in fairly soft-edged hairs, which will contrast nicely with the sharp drawing of the head.

Personally, I'd play the chest down and fade it out. And I think it's too wide at present, especially at the right, and is unbalancing the head. One reason I suggest keeping the detail, and values, light is because your photo (which I've only just realised) is taken from above Otis. The drawing will hang at your client's eye-level. At present Otis appears to be looking straight at us - but the chest doesn't reflect that.

This is an old and often repeated preference of mine but... when you photograph a dog get down to its eye-level, or stand it on a table. It's a portrait so you should be looking directly at it when you photograph it.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks Mike! Normally I do get low to the ground but its winter and the ground was muddy and wet and I wasn't dressed appropriately :D I'll "shave" him down on the sides and see how it looks :)

Postby kennyc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 pm

KrissyNZ wrote:Thanks Mike! Normally I do get low to the ground but its winter and the ground was muddy and wet and I wasn't dressed appropriately :D I'll "shave" him down on the sides and see how it looks :)

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 am

Righto I've shaved him back a bit and starting adding a suggestion of form. Looking at it on the computer I think I need to bulk out the left side just a tad to try and balance it better with that wonky collar. Getting there!! I want to deliver this early next week ideally!

otis-6556.jpg

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 am

KrissyNZ wrote:Righto I've shaved him back a bit and starting adding a suggestion of form.

Looking good! I think you have a good balance between form, plane, texture, and shape.

Looking at it on the computer I think I need to bulk out the left side just a tad to try and balance it better with that wonky collar. Getting there!!

OK........ maybe ;) My first reaction was perfect! - especially the slight imbalance. It nicely follows the curve of the collar without that being a distraction, and NOT being perfectly balanced gives a natural appearance. In other words, it's not a "constructed" semi-circle.

Of course, only you know how Otis will look once completed. So the balance might shift and I might change my mind on that once he's finally finished :)
Mike Sibley

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:34 am

Ah good, thanks Mike! I only made very minor changes to the chest and I think you're right that it's nice with that little imbalance. Imperfections are good sometimes! I'm calling it finished for the day. Tomorrow I will look at him again with fresh eyes and make whatever adjustments jump out at me.

If you see anything you think I should spend a bit more time on, please do say! I want this to be my new "showcase" piece, so have to make sure it's looking beautiful :)

otis-6572.jpg

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:41 am

Looks great to me!
Kenny A. Chaffin

Postby Bev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Beautiful work all round Krissy and I just love this chaps expression. The drawing of his fur is fantastic!

Postby Laurene » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm

There's nothing I can suggest Krissy. I don't think I would touch a thing. Brilliant work!

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:23 pm

KrissyNZ wrote:I want this to be my new "showcase" piece, so have to make sure it's looking beautiful :)

I think this IS your showcase piece. You might find the odd bit to fiddle with but, in my opinion, it's finished... and most excellently finished.

Sometimes you can look at a drawing and feel that you know the character - this is one of those drawings. And one little thing that makes me smile every time I look at it is the off-centre highlight on the lower jaw. That single, masterful touch, adds so much character. I can almost read his thoughts :)
Mike Sibley

Postby KrissyNZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 am

Thank you all SO SO much! I had posted this in another group and the general consensus was that it looked like he had cataracts hah! So I tweaked those eyes just a touch and now I can't help but get lost in them! :D

Final time count is 16hrs and 3 mins. I think the customer is going to be VERY happy as she has saved $50! I quoted up to 18hrs of work originally. There are a couple of areas I think I could've improved upon but I'm ready to move on from this drawing now and apply my newfound knowledge to the next commission! Very proud of how it has turned out, I really feel like I 'leveled up' in a sense! What's been even more bizarre throughout the process of this drawing, is people have been contacting me asking for my help with their drawings and drawing techniques! It's amazing to think that people see me as some sort of knowledgeable figure now.

Anyway, I've got another drawing to get started on now! Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it :) Oh and my dad thinks I should up my prices from $25 an hour by 20%. What say you?!

Otis Final small.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE