November 17 - 19, 2017

Subject: Smooth Skin

More workshops:
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

Bayley - Bichon

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Bayley - Bichon

Postby KrissyNZ » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:32 am

I'm going to start out by saying I don't like Bichon's as a general rule of thumb :D I've never met one I liked but I'm always open to be proven wrong. Bayley however is pretty cute and was a load of fun to photograph! We narrowed it down to 2 photos and in the end the customer said to do both. One now and one later when I want a change from what I'm working on so that's pretty cool!

Here's the photo I'm working from for this one. It's actually a combination of 2 photos as he only had one eye showing in the original because of his fluffy wee face so I added in a subtle second eye at the customers request from another shot I'd got.

bayleyfortdf.jpg

And here's where I'm at now. I can already see I need to increase the size of the left eye. Having come from drawing a dark dog to this one, it's taking a wee bit of time for me to get my head around the negative drawing stuff again! I'll get back into the swing of it soon enough I'm sure :)

bayley-6627.jpg

Re: Bayley - Bichon

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

looking good!

I don't care much for bitchons either. :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Postby Bev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am

I will be following Krissy. I am sure this will be hit, judging by your previous work. I am always nervous when it comes to drawing white animals, especially fluffy ones, never seem to get a hang of the negative drawing and usually overwork horribly.

Postby Laurene » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Looks great so far Krissy. Toning the background like you did here should help him come forward toward the viewer too.

Postby Bob1298 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Off to a good start, will look forward to more

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 pm

KrissyNZ wrote: I can already see I need to increase the size of the left eye.

Maybe? Well, probably :) But don't do anything with it yet. This is a white dog. So don't mess with a dark eye that you might later want to take back to how it was. Not easy to do when it's surrounded by white hair.

OK, you probably know all that, but I've been guilty in the past of altering something too early and then later realising it was correct originally.

So far it's looking really good.
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Postby Rob Bristow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm

You have mastered the art of a good nose

Rob

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:10 am

Haha I read your comment after I'd gone and adjusted that eye Mike but I'm quite happy with the changes I made! I feel it looks much more like the dog now :) I've been reeeeeeally dragging my heels on this drawing because the breed annoys me so much! Will have to really push myself to get it done in a timely manner as I've barely made any progress on it in the past few weeks. Please forgive the copious amounts of fluff on this photo, apparently I need to clean my camera's sensor!

Working outwards from the nose and have laid down my mid tones from which to pull out the shapes of the fur with my eraser. I'll start working it over this week.

bayley-6668.jpg

Postby KrissyNZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am

Ok I sat down and got a bit more done. Started pulling out the main clumps of fur and darkened the background a bit. Will need to darken the background further I think to get enough contrast for the white fur to pop properly. Might also look into different papers that are brighter than this Strathmore Bristol Windpower series for white dogs in future. I run the risk of him looking a bit dirty in the end because this paper is not a bright white.

bayley-6670.jpg

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE