and UK Studio dates
available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Your vital feedback; my second horse portrait!

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Your vital feedback; my second horse portrait!

Postby samPM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Hello again all!

Here is Charlie, my second horse portrait, I hope you all enjoy! The feedback from you all on my previous portrait helped immensely when drawing this one, and I'm grateful to you all. I'm quite proud of this portrait and luckily the customer was very happy with it.

As always, your feedback is vital. Thank you!
Attachments
Charlie.JPG

Re: Your vital feedback; my second horse portrait!

Postby Laurene » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 am

This would be great even if it were your 20th horse drawing, much less your second! The best part for me is the velvety soft muzzle. Really well done!!

You have a great range of values across the face and neck too. The only thing I'm noticing Sam is that the ears are so much darker than the rest of the head and neck and that is pulling my eye up to the ears. The eye is about the same value of the ears right now. Maybe if the ears were lighter and the eye was a bit darker it would shift the focus back to the eye where we would normally want it to be.

This just my observation Sam concerning the distribution of values, but the rendering of the horse's features is fantastic. Really top-notch! It's no wonder that the customer was so happy with it!

Re: Your vital feedback; my second horse portrait!

Postby samPM » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Oh Laurene you're very kind! Thank you for your comments.
Now that you've pointed the ears/face contrast I can really notice it! I suppose I'd been staring at it for so long it didn't stand out to me as much. The idea of balancing values to draw attention to certain features is not something I've thought about doing (but have obviously accidentally done!), but it's an excellent bit of technical information which I will be sure to be aware of in my next drawing, so thank you very much!

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE