available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

My Chihuahua

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

My Chihuahua

Postby Zeroiqz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:48 pm

Here is my second ever animal drawing, my chihuahua. I used 2H, HB, 2B and 4B graphite pencils. This took about 6-8 hours to finish. What do you think and what could I do better?
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Chihuahua drawing

Re: My Chihuahua

Postby kennyc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice Work.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page - Photo Gallery - Art Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness - Siddhartha Gautama

Postby Laurene » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 am

Well, all of the facial features are really beautifully done - eyes nose, muzzle - all are excellent! Not only are they well rendered, there is a real sense of depth to the face - the eyes are definitely on a plane behind the nose.

Since you asked, the only thing I could suggest is to study the hair direction under the chin and then following down to the chest area. It's sometimes difficult to see at this angle because the dog is basically facing us and that makes it more difficult than a 3/4 pose or a profile, but I would expect to see shadow under the chin even though the hair is white. This, I think, would help to push the chest back.

I certainly couldn't have produced a drawing of this quality on my second try. Really well done!!

Postby Zeroiqz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 am

Thank you!

Yes that hair under chin was really hard to draw, so I kind of just left it like that. I couldn't make it look good so I left under chin hair almost all white. In original picture there is shadows under chin but I wasnt patient enough to struggle with those shadows and hair. Almost every time I draw something that takes bit longer time, I get little bit frustrated and just try to finish the drawing quickly... :?

Postby Laurene » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 am

I know exactly what you mean. We all feel like that sometimes! One thing I can share with you is that when I'm not sure how to draw something and I don't want to ruin all of the work I've done so far, I'll take a picture or scan my drawing. Then I can print it out as many times as I want and I practice on the print out, not on the original so I don't have to worry about ruining it. That almost always works for me. If you're comfortable with a graphics program like photoshop, you can practice on your picture or scan that way too. Hope that helps a little.

Postby Zeroiqz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

Thank you that's great tip! I'am going to try that on my next drawing.

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE