available early 2018

Workshops ONLINE
8-week BEGINNERS
INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCED
6-wk TRADITIONAL SHADING
Join me at Drawspace.com
full details

Black bear - ink drawing

The animal and wildlife forum concentrates on drawings of all animals, from domestic pets to wildlife - anything dressed in fur, feathers or scales. The emphasis is on drawing but paintings are also acceptable.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Black bear - ink drawing

Postby Laurene » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I've been experimenting on Strathmore toned paper, and I find that it's a great background for ink drawings. Of course its main purpose would be to provide a midtone, allowing the artist to concentrate on highlights and shadows only, but I've seen artists use it in many other ways including ink drawings.. I've always been a fan of pen and ink. As a matter of fact, I started drawing using a technical pen. I find that it can be used for very tight technical drawings, but it can also be used quite loosely when depicting fur.

Here I used Staedtler pigment black liners, sizes 0.1 and 0.3, on a 9"x 12" sheet of Strathmore tan toned paper. I then scanned it and colourised it in Paintshop Pro (similar to Photoshop). I spent about 3 1/2 hours on the drawing and probably 30 minutes on the addition of colour. It's much quicker than a detailed graphite drawing but of course it yields less detail.

I'm now planning a new composition for a graphite drawing that I hope to share with you soon.
Attachments
LSpino_black bear 1.jpg

Re: Black bear - ink drawing

Postby KrissyNZ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:38 pm

This is so lovely Laurene! I love the colourised version, it really adds a bit of something special to the drawing.

Postby Bev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:13 pm

This is lovely Laurene, I also love pen and ink although I haven't tried a toned background. I must say it works well. I also like your colourised version.

Postby Laurene » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks Krissy and Bev! It's nice to explore other mediums now and then, but I notice that I'm still always drawn to greyscale or black and white. The coloured background allows me play with colour a little bit without actually planning a full-blown colour composition ;)

Return to ANIMAL and WILDLIFE