Austin, TX :
November 16 - 18

Subject: Realistic Still Life
full details
Pencil Kit & DVD
Everything I supply in my live workshops
full details

PRINTERS, SCANNERS AND PAPERS

The old (edited) ArtPapa posts under the heading of "A Few of those dumb newbie questions". Please feel free to add your own experiences or ask questions.

Moderator: Mike Sibley

Site Admin

Re: PRINTERS, SCANNERS AND PAPERS

Postby Mike Sibley » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 pm

#125 craigc

Cindy - Shrinkwrapping isn't too expensive, if you have your own equipment. A roll of film goes a lonnng ways! I know galleries/hobby stores will charge a seemingly crazy price for doing it. (like matting) My machine is about 30 years old now. I bought it used from another artist friend. Try Ebay?? I know Dick Blick sells them too. Can't beat the convenience of having one at home. Just wear a filter mask and have good room ventilation. The melting plastic fumes can smell up the room, not to mention give you a headache.

Craig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#126 Rich_A

so you print all of your limited edition prints all at once? My Killdeer Eggs are a limited edition and my printer just keeps the original scan on file and prints as I need them. I guess the cost is the same whether you print all at once or one by one, but a lot less initial output of funds.

Cindy, the limited edition prints I'll be having them print are done using a metal plate on a Heidelberg press. The metal plate is kept on file and they could run additional prints for an open edition if I wanted, but the cost per page go down significantly for every page after the first one off the press. Conversely, using an inkjet printer would allow you would print a few at a time without a cost advantage of printing more. I hope that makes sense.

Rich
My Website: www.RichAdamsPhoto.com
Mike Sibley
Book: Drawing from Line to Life
Blog : Drawing from Line to Life blog
Visit my Starving Artists for free and subscription galleries

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:29 pm

#127 Mike Sibley

Cindy, the limited edition prints I'll be having them print are done using a metal plate on a Heidelberg press. The metal plate is kept on file and they could run additional prints for an open edition if I wanted, but the cost per page go down significantly for every page after the first one off the press.

Cindy, there's one thing you must bear in mind if you want offset-litho printing to be financially viable....

Your largest outlay is for the machine setting-up and running time,not for the paper or ink. That's why printing all the prints in one run is always the best choice.

If your Printer has to stop a press and clean it down before setting your plates for another run - that's a huge extra expense that you plan to do without.

A litho press cannot just switch from one job to another like a giclée printer can. To put that into perspective, if I make a minor change to inking during the fine-tuning process, we often run 150-200 sheets through the press just to settle it down so it prints consistently.
Mike Sibley

Site Admin

Postby Mike Sibley » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 pm

#128 Cindy

Thanks guys! Yes, I understand the difference, I just didn't realize Rich that you were using a press. I assumed you were using either your own printer or the same type of printing at a print shop. As a hobbyist, I will stick to my printer and pay the additional expense. :10000000: One or two sales at a time!

Craig, shrink wrapping with your own machine would be great! Sounds like they last a long time! wouldn't it be great to have an EBay sort of place here on AP? Not sure any of us would have anything to sell though, seems we are always BUYING! :10000000:

Cindy - :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#130 profbob

I get the impression that you all are talking about making prints for art shows or galleries.
When I finish a drawing for someone, they get the original.
I take a high res photo of the drawing and send for 8 x 10 or even 11 x 14 photo reproductions.
It is cheap and they look good enough to frame, although I keep them in a portfolio book.
If people wanted to buy a print of one of my works, why not do it this way?

#131 Bev Lewis

Well photo reproductions are fine to keep for yourself, but under glass hanging on a wall, they may well fade after a few years, so not ideal for selling, your customers might get a little miffed.

Bev

http://bevlewis-art.blogspot.com/

http://www.bevs-animal-portraits.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/bev.lewis.98

http://fineartameric.../bev-lewis.html

http://www.ukcps.co....is_b/index.html

http://www.artistsan....co.uk/BevLewis
Mike Sibley

Previous